CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1374461
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374461.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:18:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
East Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Abbots Bromley
National Grid Reference:
SK 07935 24560

Details

SK 0624-0724 ABBOTS BROMLEY C.P. CHURCH STREET

16/27 Church of St. Nicholas 12/1/66

GV II*

Parish Church. c1300, clerestorey added c1500, West tower rebuilt c1700, restored and partly rebuilt by G.E. Street 1852-5. C14 coursed and squared stone blocks, the rest ashlar; plain tile roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay chancel, north and south aisles, north and south chapels, south porch, north-east vestry. West tower: Rebuilt after collapse of spire (23rd November 1698); 3 stages marked by moulded strings, rusticated pilaster strips to west corners of first stage capped by scrolls, rusticated quoins to second and third stages; lower stage has round headed West door with raised key stone flanked by panelled pilasters; second stage has blind panel above West door, north and south sides have a circular window with moulded surround and blind panel over; third stage has window to each side of 2 round headed lights and moulded architrave and sill, west side has circular window below and a clock between the two; balustraded parapet with panelled pedestals at the corners capped by urn finials spouting flame. Nave: Clerestory of c1500 with pointed windows of 3 trefoiled lights. North aisle: c1300; central pointed door with half-roll and fillet moulded surround, and roll and fillet hood mould terminating in heads; 3-light window to east with intersecting tracery and roll and fillet hood mould terminating on the east side in a head, 3-light pointed window to west, all lights with trefoiled heads, the central one pointed, the outer ones rounded, crenellated parapet; C18 West window to aisle with round head, moulded architrave and raised key. South aisle: C19 remodelling; windows have cusped intersecting tracery and hood moulds terminating in foliage. Gabled South porch C19, timber framed on ashlar plinth with cusped open arch, to pointed south door of 2 orders: nook shafts and roll and fillet moulded arch, hood mould terminating in foliage. North chapel (Hurst Chapel) C19; windows have Decorated style tracery. South Chapel (Lady Chapel) C19; triple lancet windows to south side, east window has 5 lancets under a hood mould terminating in leaf decoration. Chancel window of 7 trefoil headed lights and circle above filled with geometrical figures. Interior: Nave arcades c1300, octagonal piers with moulded capitals and chamfered pointed arches; C19 wooden chancel arch springing from stone corbels carved with naturistic foliage round headed door to West tower; nearly flat C19 timber nave roof with moulded tie beams supporting a ridge piece and one pair of purlins; C19 chancel and aisle roofs with arch braced collars cusped in sanctuary; chancel with alabaster screen wall and moulded alabaster caps to piers has sedilia and piscina to south and aumbry to north. Fittings: stone font c1700, circular moulded base, cylindrical pedestal and gadrooned bowl in form of an urn; C19 carved choir stalls by Street; C19 wooden altar rail on twisted wrought iron standards with scrolled brackets and leaf decoration; C19 stone table on marble columns. 2 brass chandeliers of c1820 and 5 brass lamps. Monuments: Brass memorial to John Draycote, burgess of Abbots Bromley d.1463; Warburton family memorial, C17, marble, bracketed aedicule, winged skull to centre of base flanked by cherubs, panelled pilasters decorated with cross bones and hour-glasses, fishscale pilaster caps with torches on top, cherubs and coat of arms above; memorial to John and Edward Vernon died 1756 and 1780, shaped marble plaque with moulded cornice, surmounted by an obelisk, containing a coat of arms. Stained glass: Good East window by Burtison and Grylls. Miscellanea: Reindeer horns, hobby horse, and crossbow used in the Abbots Bromley horn dance.

Listing NGR: SK0793524560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
273734
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/05808/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Dawn Osborn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].