CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1374828
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374828.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:16:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Exning
National Grid Reference:
TL 62140 65513

Details

TL 66 NW NEWMARKET CHURCH STREET (including Exning)

1/81 Church of St. 28.11.50 Martin

I

Church, mediaeval, restored c.1863. Nave, chancel, aisles and transepts on north and south sides, west tower and south porch. Rubble walls mainly rendered (the tower of flint rubble and some brick); dressings of clunch and limestone. Roofs mainly low- pitched and leaded, some with parapets; the chancel plaintiled. In the chancel are fragments of lancet windows of C12 or early C13, and a C12 priests door is said to be buried in the south wall. The tower c.1300, incorporating as a doorway lintel part of a possible Norman consecration cross. The original 2-light belfry openings were made redundant by larger openings when the top stage was added late C14, together with west doorway and 3- light window, and clasping buttresses. A timber bell turret with cupola roof was added C18. Apart from the chancel walling, most of the church was rebuilt early/mid C14. The lancets in the chancel are c.1300 (apart from the triple-lancet east window, a C19 introduction). The aisle and transept windows mid C14, with 2 and 3 lights, the transept end windows of 4 lights with net tracery. Most windows were heavily restored c.1863. The south chancel doorway was inserted C15, the north doorway is a C19 replacement in the C15 style. The south doorway and porch with parvise were added mid C14, heavily restored C19; on a quoin- stone is the scratch-date 1673. The nave arcades have octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases; simply chamfered tower arch and chancel arch. In the chancel is a late C13 double piscina. In the south transept is an aumbry and a piscina with dog-tooth ornament (possibly late C13), also a rare but damaged late C14 double heart shrine, formed of 2 cusped arches with quatrefoil under an ogee arched head, and within are 2 hands holding a heart. In the north transept is an image niche, perhaps C14, and the rood-loft stairway. Beside the north doorway is a C15 image niche with traceried panel above. C14 octagonal limestone font. All roofs are ceiled with plaster, all except chancel were probably rebuilt c.1821. C17 altar rails in chancel. Early C18 pulpit with back and sounding-board. In the nave is a set of 15 C16 pews with linenfold ends, square-headed; in the aisles are 13 more, plain and heavily restored. In the north transept is a fine C15 stallfront with tracery and poppyhead ends. In the south transept floor is a C13 marble coffin lid. In the chancel is a simple C15 altar tomb, now without brasses. Below the east chancel window is a tablet to Robt. Peachey, Vicar, d.1702; by the west door another to John Huske, d.1713. In the north transept is a painted hatchment to Francis Robertson. In the south aisle are the arms of George II, and, on the gallery, of George III, dated 1817.

Listing NGR: TL6214065513

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275641
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13333/37
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].