CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374873.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 20:51:57.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 99607 02885
COLLYWESTON HIGH STREET
SK 9902 (North side)
8/39 Church of St. Andrew
Church. C11. C13-C15 restored 1857. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and limestone ashlar porch and tower. Lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south chapel, north aisle, south porch and west tower. North elevation of chancel is of 2-window range of 2-light square-head windows; head of left window is restored. Evidence of large C11 squared coursed blocks and later regular coursed rubble. Gabled roof with Collyweston slates and ashlar gable parapet. 3-light east window of chancel has 4-centred arch-head and hollow reveals. Wail is part banded with regular coursed rubble and squared coursed limestone. East window of south chapel has a similar 3-light window. Gables of south chapel and chancel are flush, with a central gargoyle. South elevation of south chapel is a 2-window range of 2-light square-head windows with arch-head lights. 2-stage buttresses between windows. Gabled roof with Collyweston slates and ashlar gable parapets. C19 gabled porch to west wall of south chapel. North aisle of 2 window-range of 3-light windows, restored C19, with 4-centred arch-heads. North doorway, to right, has chamfered stone surround with 4-centred arch-head. 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners and central 2-stage buttress between windows. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet and remains of gargoyles to far left and right. 3-light east and west windows with 4-centred arch-heads. One-window range of chancel, to left of south elevation of south chapel, has a 2-light window with Y-tracery. South elevation of nave is a 3-window range with two, 3-light, square-head, windows with cusping, to lower centre and right. Three 2-light clerestory windows have 4-centred arch-heads. 2-stage ashlar buttresses between lower windows and to right corner. Lower section of wall, to centre and right, is squared coursed limestone, other is regular coursed. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapets. 2 rainwater heads, one with initials WH/CW and partially legible C19 date. North elevation of clerestory is similar, restored C19. Perpendicular gabled porch breaks forward from left bay of south elevation of nave. Ashlar facade and regular coursed side walls. Outer doorway has double-chamfered 4-centred arch-head and semi-circular responds. Inner doorway has ogee-head with crochets and flanking pinnacles and continuous hollow moulding enriched with paterae. Above are the arms of William Porter. 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners and castellated parapet with finial. Gabled roof with Collyweston slates. Perpendicular west tower of 3 stages with subdivision and plinth to the lower stages. West doorway has moulded stone surround and 4-centred arch-head, 3-light window, above, has 4-centred arch-head and hollow reveals. Single-light window in west face of second stage. 2-light bell chamber openings, to each face of upper stage, have 4-centred arch-heads, transoms and hollow reveals. Shallow corner pilasters terminate as octagonal crocketed pinnacles with castellated parapets between. Interior: late C15 two bay nave arcade of Perpendicular double-chamfered arches. Central pier has continuous chamfer, to nave and aisle, and semi-circular responds facing into arch. Hollowed and moulded chancel arch with polygonal responds, and double-chamfered tower arch with semi-circular responds. Double-chamfered arch, from chancel to south chapel, has polygonal responds. 2-light, square-head, windows now internal, between chancel and south chapel. Of single-light window above, with semi-circular head, is now blocked. CIQ roof structures. C19 furnishings with elaborate poppy heads. C13 octagonal font. Stained glass: Cl9 and early C20 stained glass to chancel east and south windows; lower south windows of nave and 2 west windows and east window of north aisle. Clock mechanism in tower is said to have come from Collyweston Palace, the date 1779 probably refers to a repair. Memorials: oval tablet to left of altar is dated 1615 and has latin inscription. C19 wall tablet to south wall of chancel, Lady Margret Beaufort may have been responsible for the late C15 south chapel (Countess of Richmond, who lived at Collyweston Palace). Buildings of England:Northamptonshire: p154; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Narthamptonshire: p31)
Listing NGR: SK9960702885
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 154
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing