STABLE BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1374913
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
STABLE BLOCK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374913.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 08:03:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
STABLE BLOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hoxne
National Grid Reference:
TM 17617 77201

Details

HOXNE OAKLEY PARK TM 17 NE 7/120 Stable Block II

Stable court to Oakley Park. Circa 1825, probably by Sydney Smirke who remodelled the house at this time for Sir Edward Kerrison. Red brick, stuccoed and ashlar-lined. Slated roof. Quadrangular plan. One storey with lofts. Symmetrical main front, facing south. To each side of the entrance are 3 arched recesses above a plinth with V-jointed rustication. Plain end piers. Entrance set slightly forward: flanking piers, semi-circular archway with V-jointed rustication, original paired 3-panelled gates. In front of the entrance piers are octagonal plinths about 2m high, presumably for sculpture. All piers have a dentil course. Continuous moulded cornice; flat parapet, also with cornice (damaged). Above the entrance is a square clock tower supported by consoles, on a 2-stepped base. Each face has a keyed arched opening containing a clock face and louvres. Pointed domed roof, all stuccoed, with onion finial. To rear, a narrower archway with original paired gates. Each side of courtyard has a central gable, 2 with matching arched recesses below. Ground floor windows altered, first floor 2-light casements mostly intact. Oakley Park stood immediately to the south east and was pulled down in 1923-4.

Listing NGR: TM1761777201

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281061
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].