CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WALK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374977.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 13:53:39.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WALK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Lakeland (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 28899 78685
SD2878 CHURCH WALK 626-1/3/10 Church of St Mary 02/03/50
Parish church. C16 with re-used C12 south doorway. Restored and enlarged 1804. Extensively restored and partly rebuilt 1864-6 by Paley. Chancel extended 1903-4 by Austin and Paley, who also re-furnished the east end of the south aisle in 1923 as the War Memorial Chapel. Sandstone and limestone rubble with red sandstone dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: comprises a west tower, nave with clerestorey, south aisle and south porch, a north aisle under a pitched roof, and a chancel. EXTERIOR: the tower is of 3 stages and has angle buttresses and an embattled parapet. The west window is pointed, of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery. Below there is a doorway which is hollow-chamfered with a segmental arch. The bell openings are each of 3 lights with flat heads, mullions, slate louvres, and hoodmoulds. On the south side of the wall of the middle stage is an inscribed tablet with hoodmould. The north aisle is of 7 bays separated by buttresses and has pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. All are of 2 lights except for the western one in the north wall which is of 3 lights, as is the east window. The west window is of 5 lights. On the south side the clerestorey windows are mullioned, of 3 lights with flat heads and hoodmoulds. The south aisle windows are pointed and of 2 lights: to the left of the priest's door there are 4 windows and to the right there are 2. The porch, towards the west end, is gabled with a cross finial and with a moulded 4-centred outer doorway which has a hoodmould and angel stops. The inner doorway appears to be re-set and has a round arch of 3 orders (including chevron and cable ornament) with chamfered imposts. The east chancel window is of 5 lights, and a south buttress is inscribed 'MDCCCCIII'. INTERIOR: the pointed tower arch is chamfered in 2 orders which die into the responds. The 7-bay arcades date from 1804 and are plastered, with pointed chamfered arches springing from octagonal columns with moulded caps. The open timber roof has braced collar trusses alternating with king-post trusses which have queen struts and corbelled wall posts. The chancel extension is of sandstone ashlar and has double sedilia and a piscina, and a boarded barrel roof. 2 bays of the main arcades are within the chancel, which is raised above the level of the nave and divided from it by a low sandstone wall pierced by quatrefoils. FITTINGS: the choir stalls are of carved oak, and oak screens with carved tracery (probably by Austin and Paley) divide the chancel from the south chapel and from the north vestry and organ chamber. A similar screen divides the organ chamber from the north aisle. The organ was re-built in the later C20, but the organ case (which faces towards the north vestry) has 6 timber Corinthian columns supporting an entablature. MEMORIALS: the numerous memorials include a tomb chest in the north aisle (formerly in the south chapel) with the carved effigy of William Sandys of Conishead Priory (d.1559). At the west end of the south aisle there is a canopied mural monument to Miles Dodding (d.1629) with a small recumbent figure and a Latin inscription. At the east end of the south aisle there are memorial brasses to an earlier Miles Dodding (d.1606) and his wife set in a tablet of polished limestone in an Elizabethan style which appears to be early C19.
Listing NGR: SD2889978685
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/220698
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66768
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66766
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66769
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66767
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66765
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66770
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66764
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66762
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing