FIRST LEEDS CLOTH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375042
Date first listed:
16-Jun-1983
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
FIRST LEEDS CLOTH HALL, 98 AND 100, KIRKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FIRST LEEDS CLOTH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375042.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:41:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
FIRST LEEDS CLOTH HALL, 98 AND 100, KIRKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30447 33422

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW KIRKGATE 714-1/78/227 (South West side) 16/06/83 Nos.98 AND 100 First Leeds Cloth Hall (Formerly Listed as: KIRKGATE Nos.98-101 (Consecutive) former First White Cloth Hall)

II*

White cloth hall. 1711 with C19 and C20 alterations to use as shop. Brick, part rendered, stone dressings, slate and concrete tile roof. Quoins. 2- and 3-storey U-plan composed of a range parallel to the street and set back from it, and a hipped roof wing at each end extending forward to street edge, the courtyard so formed infilled by later building. Street frontage: 2 first-floor windows to each wing: 4-pane sashes, wedge lintels; smaller windows just below eaves on 2nd floor have stone sills. C20 shop fronts to ground floor. Courtyard elevations of 2 storeys, having a round-headed arcade on plain stone piers with moulded bases and caps to the ground floor and round-headed windows in brick arches with keystone above, the openings now blocked or containing later windows and part of the walling rebuilt to a different design. INTERIOR: original roof structure of king-post type with braces from the posts to the ridge pole survive in part. HISTORICAL NOTE: the first cloth hall to be built in Leeds, catering for the producers of undyed cloth who had previously sold their goods at the general cloth market in Briggate. Plans for the construction of such a building were made in 1710, when Ralph Thoresby, a merchant clothier and Leeds historian, referred in his diary to his visit to Lord Irwin at Temple Newsam. The proposal to build a secure and sheltered building for the trade was spurred by the construction of a hall in Wakefield during that year and the building, opened 29 May 1711, included storerooms for the clothiers of individual townships and hamlets. Thoresby described it as 'a stately hall, built on pillars on arches in the form of an exchange, with a quadrangular court within'. Cossins' map (1725) shows the White Cloth Hall set back from Kirkgate and suggests that the principal facade was towards the south; 2 routes: High Back Lane and Low Back Lane, linking it with the warehouses, dyehouses and wharves on The Calls. Those 2 lanes ran along each side of a large tenter

field, the site in 1776 of the much larger third White Cloth Hall in Crown Street (qv), the 2nd hall being built in Meadow Lane in 1758 (demolished). The first hall was converted to an alehouse and shops and in the early C19 James Boyne built 2 houses across the front of the courtyard, the 2 arms of the hall were converted to houses. Not examined in detail; fully recorded by West Yorkshire Archaeological Unit c1985. (Burt, S & Grady, K: The Merchants' Golden Age: Leeds 1700-1790: 1987-; Cossins, J: Map of Leeds, reprinted by Thoresby Society 1989: 1725-; West Yorkshire Archaeology Service Report: Michelmore, D: First White Cloth Hall and Contemporary Buildings in Leeds).



Listing NGR: SE3044733422

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465922
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Burt, , Grady, , The Merchants Golden Age Leeds 1700-1790, (1987)
Michelmore, D, 'West Yorkshire Archaeology Service Report' in First White Cloth Hall and Contemporary Buildings in Leeds, ()
Other
Title: Map of Leeds 1725 Source Date: 1989 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/15457/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Krystyna Szulecka. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].