NORTH BOUNDARY WALL AND STEPS, NORTH WEST GATE AND PIERS, WAR MEMORIAL AND EAST BAR STONE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1375049
Date first listed:
08-May-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
NORTH BOUNDARY WALL AND STEPS, NORTH WEST GATE AND PIERS, WAR MEMORIAL AND EAST BAR STONE, KIRKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH BOUNDARY WALL AND STEPS, NORTH WEST GATE AND PIERS, WAR MEMORIAL AND EAST BAR STONE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 20:54:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
NORTH BOUNDARY WALL AND STEPS, NORTH WEST GATE AND PIERS, WAR MEMORIAL AND EAST BAR STONE, KIRKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30656 33324

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/10/2015

SE3033SE 714-1/79/231

LEEDS, KIRKGATE (South side), North boundary wall and steps, NW gate & piers, war memorial and East Bar Stone (Formerly Listed as: KIRKGATE, Gatepiers NW and SW of St Peter's Church and churchyard wall north and west)

08/05/74

GV II

Boundary wall to church with entrance steps and piers, gateway, memorial to First and Second World War casualties and boundary stone. Walling and piers after 1841, East Bar stone possibly early C19 and reset, war memorial 1921.

Wall Squared gritstone blocks laid to ashlar finish approx 110m long and 1m high, 2-4 courses, triangular coping with seatings for missing railing. NW gateway: the 2 gate piers have chamfered plinth, panelled sides, cornice with quatrefoil panels, 2-tier pyramidal caps. North entrance to church: wide shallow steps flanked by low wall as front, massive single-block piers with octagonal moulded caps. East Bar stone built into wall to east of war memorial; chamfered block with lettering: 'EAST BAR', the first word in Italic, both deeply-cut with strong serifs. Marks line of a gateway on the old town boundary.

War memorial The Leeds Rifles (the Leeds Batalions, The Prince of Wales’s Own (West Yorkshire) Regiment was the only regiment to choose a Lutyens War Cross as a memorial. The chosen site was the edge of the churchyard of St Peter Kirkgate, in the centre of Leeds. It was unveiled on 13 November 1921 by Captain G Sanders VC MC who fought with distinction for the regiment.

Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and in some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.

The memorial is a relatively small War Cross of Portland stone, set in a break in the churchyard wall facing out to the street. The fall in levels accommodates a stone bench beneath the cross that doubles as a ledge for wreaths. Elaborate iron railings with arrow-head finials to bars flank the cross.

Inscriptions:

On the cross: 7TH AND 8TH BATTALIONS/ WEST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT/ THE PRINCE OF WALES’S OWN/ LEEDS RIFLES/ 45TH (LEEDS RIFLES) BATTALION/ ROYAL TANK REGIMENT/ 66TH (LEEDS RIFLES) HAA REGIMENT/ ROYAL ARTILLERY

On the wall: TO/ THE MEN OF/THE LEEDS RIFLES/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ 1914-1918/ 1939-1945 Bronze regimental badges on cross: above the inscription: Leeds Rifles; below (L to R) Royal Artillery, Prince of Wales’s Own (Leeds Rifles), Royal Tank Regiment.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465929
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Skelton, T, Gliddon, G, Lutyens and the Great War, (2008), 91-2, 170
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/151041
War Memorials Register, accessed 1 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/47005

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03881/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Novak. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].