Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375219.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 18:14:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30320 33834



SE3033NW NEW BRIGGATE 714-1/76/265 (East side) 15/02/60 Nos.32-44 (Even) Grand Theatre, including former Assembly Rooms (Formerly Listed as: NEW BRIGGATE (East side) Grand Theatre including Plaza Cinema and Nos.34-40 (Even))


Theatre, shops and assembly rooms, now rehearsal rooms. 1877-78, conversion of assembly rooms to cinema by 1907, shop front alterations c1930, 2 shops restored 1978. By George Corson and James Robertson Watson. Brick, stone dressings, slate roof. The main front has 3 elements: the theatre entrance left, row of 6 shops centre, and assembly rooms, later cinema, right. High Victorian style. Theatre entrance: 3 storeys, 4 round arches, the central pair in an outer arch, balustraded course at 1st-floor level, arcade of Romanesque windows above; central gable with rose window flanked by turrets. Shop facade: 4 tiers of windows: ground floor left (No.44) has original-style shop window flanked by narrow doorways; the remaining shop windows have 1930s-style plate glass, some with sun-burst motifs, and recessed doorways with Art Deco flooring. 2 tiers of plain round-headed windows above, grouped in pairs and threes; 4 large windows in similar style to the theatre entrance to top tier. Assembly rooms to right: entrance with flat arch in a rendered facade with face and fan design, moulded outer arch, swags and central plaque; 3 round-arched windows above; pyramidal roof. INTERIOR: of theatre: very fine, the elaborate plasterwork painted in muted shades; the auditorium has 3 horseshoe balconies decorated with gilded scrollwork, curved downward to the round proscenium arch in rectangular frame with rounded corners which is flanked by clustered columns and the boxes. The female figures flanking the boxes are restorations post-1978; ribbed and domed ceiling with central chandelier and plaster pendentives. The original arrangement of the building included a supper room above the theatre entrance, with kitchen behind the rose window in the top gable; separate access to large fire-proof

cellars for wine and storage beneath the entrance. The Assembly Rooms concert hall, later cinema, now rehearsal rooms, retains elaborate Classical-style plaster cinema decoration: paired pilasters with Ionic capitals, segmental-arched ceiling with ribs and panels decorated with reliefs of fruit and flowers, round-arched niches flanking proscenium arch. The foyer retains plaster frieze with torches and wreaths, Corson's original stairs with turned newels remain, and cinema stairs with square newels and wrought-iron scrolled balustrade. Opened 15 April 1907 as the Assembly Rooms cinema, showing 'New Century Talking and Singing Pictures' with 1,100 seats; name changed to The Plaza 25 August 1958. (The Grand Theatre, Leeds: The First Hundred Years: Leeds: 1978-: 13; Sachs, Edwin O.: Modern Opera Houses and Theatres, Vol.II: 1896-).

Listing NGR: SE3032033834


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Sachs, E O , Modern Opera Houses and Theatres Volume II, (1896)
Wilkinson, R, The Grand Theatre The First Hundred Years, (1977), 13


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/13099/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].