Grand Arcade


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Grand Arcade, New Briggate


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375223.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 22:06:38.


Statutory Address:
Grand Arcade, New Briggate

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30378 33875


This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/07/2018

SE 3033 NW 714-1/76/264

LEEDS NEW BRIGGATE (east side) Grand Arcade


GV II Shopping arcade. 1897, altered and restored 1992. By Smith and Tweedale. Cast-iron structure with brick external walls, terracotta details, with entrances of Burmantofts faience and blue and yellow tile. Renaissance style with Art Nouveau decorative details.

PLAN: originally a rectangular H-plan, now reduced to one mall with 27 shop units and a short cross arcade to Merrion Street. Half of the northern arcade, New Briggate frontage, was incorporated into a cinema c1920.

The New Briggate facade is of six bays and is a symmetrical composition of three gables of four storeys surrounding two entrances of two storeys. The central gable has paired two storey, four-light oriel windows with a floral bracketed pair of niches with triangular pediments, dated 1897 at the apex. The outer gables have five-light, single storey oriel windows above which are square-headed four-light windows, beneath twin niches whose knapped diamond mullions extend below and above to form a shaped gable head at the apex.

The Vicar Lane front has identical side gables, and giant order entrances with 'THE GRAND ARCADE' superscribed on faience, but below four oculi, as opposed to the Briggate facade which has eight lights, with plain square heads also below overhanging eaves on curving brackets. The central bay to the Vicar Lane front differs from the Briggate facade in the detailing of the gable apex and upper window heads which have elaborate pierced balustrades below triple niches with scalloped Moorish/Gothic upper arches and foliated side panels, surmounted by elaborate ball finials, the central terminal set upon a voluted pediment. The Merrion Street frontage is similar to that of New Briggate.

INTERIOR: glazed timber roof with arched collared trusses. The original shop fronts have raised Ionic pilasters and pedimented doors with three centre-arched lights. The upper storeys have three-light bay windows, those to the cross arcade have deeply-recessed paired lights with protruding mullions which are shaped to an 'urn profile'. The cross arcade has an Art Nouveau balustraded stair. Above the Vicar Lane entrance is an animated clock, 1897 by Potts of Leeds, with 'medieval' figures that otate below the clock face on the hour chime.

The arcade adjoins the Grand Theatre in New Briggate (qv). Half of the northern arcade, New Briggate frontage, was incorporated into the Tower Cinema of c1920 which was altered to nightclub c1985.

Listing NGR: SE3037833875


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
MacKeith, M, The History and Conservation of Shopping Arcades, (1985), 72


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/10845/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].