The Town and Country Club (The O2 Academy)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1375235
Date first listed:
25-Jun-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
The O2 Academy, 55, Cookridge Street, Leeds, LS2 3AW

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Town and Country Club (The O2 Academy)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375235 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 07:04:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
The O2 Academy, 55, Cookridge Street, Leeds, LS2 3AW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 29915 34093

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 05/06/2018

SE3037SE 714-1/74/137

LEEDS COOKRIDGE STREET (West side) No. 55, The Town and Country Club (The O2 Academy) (Formerly listed as The Town and Country Club, COOKRIDGE STREET, previously listed as: COOKRIDGE STREET (West side) Theatre-in-Education and Workshops for Leeds Playhouse)

25/06/75 GV II Formerly known as: The Town and Country Club, COOKRIDGE STREET and The Coliseum Theatre COOKRIDGE STREET. Theatre, now a music venue.1885. By William Bakewell. Ashlar facade, brick to sides and rear, slate roof. Gothic Revival style front of four bays. Central entrance arch enriched with carved foliage, carved panels above with shields of the principal Yorkshire towns of the day; large rose window and panelled parapet with statue of Britannia at the apex. Lower flanking bays have panelled double doors in round arch with stained glass in the fanlight, paired and single round-arched stair windows above; three-light windows with plate tracery and balustraded balcony to upper floor. The bays divided by corbelled buttresses with finials. Gabled outer wings with altered entrances. INTERIOR: no original features seen at Review; floor levels changed, seating removed, open to roof. HISTORIC NOTE: Built as the Coliseum Theatre and opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales, the great hall was described as 'one of the finest in the north of England' (Kelly, 1913) and was the property of Taylor's Drug Company Ltd. The Coliseum was used for political meetings and it became a site for protests by the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), the militant suffrage organisation founded by Emmeline Pankhurst in Manchester in 1903. Several women were thrown out of the building for disrupting a speech by Liberal MP John Burns in December 1907. In October 1908 when Prime Minister Asquith visited Leeds local suffragettes and leaders of the local unemployed held a large protest meeting outside the Coliseum. Jeanie Baines, a WSPU organiser, urged the crowd to ‘break down the doors’ of the building; she was arrested and became the first woman to be tried by jury for a suffrage offence. When Asquith returned to speak at the Coliseum in November 1913 large numbers of mounted police kept suffragette demonstrators on the other side of the road, and several windows in adjacent buildings were smashed during this protest. The theatre became the Gaumont cinema in 1928, and in the 1960s it became a rehearsal room and workshops for Leeds Playhouse before being turned into a nightclub, and later a music venue in 2008.

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.

Listing NGR: SE2991534093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466117
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1913), XXXIII

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/10845/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].