CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375301
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, OTLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375301.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:57:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, OTLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27335 36897

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE OTLEY ROAD, Far Headingley 714-1/6/667 (West side (off)) 26/09/63 Church of St Chad

GV II*

Anglican church. 1868, altered 1910. By Edmund Beckett Denison later 1st Lord Grimthorpe, and WH Crossland; 'east' end rebuilt and lady chapel and organ chamber added 1910, architects J and JH Gibbons. Coursed squared gritstone, snecked walling to 1910 work, red tile roofs, wrought-iron railings and lamp posts. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: aligned N-S, nave with clerestory and low aisles, side chapel, 4-stage tower and porch with steps flanked by railing and lamps at N end, alterations at S (altar) end. EXTERIOR: board door in porch has scrolled strap hinges; S aisle has 2-light windows with quatrefoil or trefoil over, lancet windows; pinnacled tower with slender octagonal spire. 'East' end buttressed, with tall paired arches and central pilaster with foundation stone carved with floriate cross and 'anno dom mcmix' in low relief, crucifix under gable above; window of 1,3,1 lights. INTERIOR: circular columns with Decorated-style capitals of carved foliage, narrow pointed arches, extend through nave to chancel. Baptistry below tower has mosaic paving, steps, rails and oak panelling of 1896, the font is sandstone, low clustered columns and bowl carved with 8-petal flowers; brass eagle lectern given 1875; pulpit of carved oak with figure of St Chad holding a church, given 1914; reredos designed by JH Gibbons and made by Messrs. Boulton and Son 1909: carved canopy above God in Majesty with figures in adoration including an earthly king, Virgin Mary, a bishop, also panels of scripture and symbols of the Evangelists with angels. East window designed and made by Miss ME Aldrich Rope of Chelsea, dedicated 1922: theme of the Redemption of Creation. The mosaic reredos of the original apsidal end is mounted on the wall of the nave: Agnus Dei and winged angels with inscription 'Sursum Corda' ('lift up your hearts').

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466196
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13189/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Marcus Sleightholm. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].