HEADINGLEY METHODIST CHURCH, VESTRY, SUNDAY SCHOOL, HALL AND WALLS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1375309
Date first listed:
22-Sep-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
HEADINGLEY METHODIST CHURCH, VESTRY, SUNDAY SCHOOL, HALL AND WALLS AND PIERS, OTLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HEADINGLEY METHODIST CHURCH, VESTRY, SUNDAY SCHOOL, HALL AND WALLS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375309.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2019 at 02:07:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
HEADINGLEY METHODIST CHURCH, VESTRY, SUNDAY SCHOOL, HALL AND WALLS AND PIERS, OTLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27846 36210

Details

LEEDS

SE2736SE OTLEY ROAD, Headingley 714-1/61/811 (South West side) 22/09/75 Headingley Methodist Church, Vestry, Sunday School, Hall and walls and piers (Formerly Listed as: OTLEY ROAD, Headingley (West side) Headingley Methodist Church including Vestry, Sunday School and Church Hall)

GV II

Church with vestry, Sunday School, church hall and boundary wall with gate piers. 1840-45, extended 1862, altered late C19. Probably by James Simpson. Gallery, transepts and apse added 1862, west front remodelled 1890s; school buildings of late C19. MATERIALS: Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, slate roof. STYLE: Gothic Revival. EXTERIOR: facade to Otley Road: gabled with pinnacles, centre projects with moulded pointed-arch doorway and corner buttresses and large pinnacles above, a stepped 3-light lancet and triangular cusped light with centre finial at apex. Flanking lancets to aisles; 2-light lancets to returns with shallow buttresses between; gabled transepts. Vestry, Sunday Schools and church hall to north (opening onto Chapel Street), gabled, one with 4-light stepped lancets with pointed arch dripmould, another gable with tripartite window of tall lancets with pilaster shafts between and quatrefoil opening in apex of gable above. Pointed-arch doorways, one with gabled portal. Corner vestry small with splayed corners, hipped roof and projecting gable with tripartite lancets. Wall with gate piers approx 50m long, from the gable of the school on Chapel Street across the front of the church; chamfered coping to low wall, railings missing; gate piers opposite the church entrance approx 1.5m high, plinth, monolithic piers and stepped capstones. INTERIOR: not inspected. The new Wesleyan Methodist church was built on the present site after opposition from the Earl of Cardigan, the earlier chapel having been in King Place (qv). The first Methodist chapel to be built in Leeds in the Gothic Revival style.



Listing NGR: SE2784636210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466204
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14500/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Carr. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].