CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1375400
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, ELLERBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375400 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 15:39:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, ELLERBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 31290 32944

Details

LEEDS

SE3132NW ELLERBY ROAD 714-1/82/178 (South West side) 26/09/63 Church of St Saviour

GV I

Anglican church. 1842-45. By John Macduff Derick. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings, Gothic Revival style. PLAN: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, transepts and north porch, on a sloping site with orientation nearer north-south than east-west. EXTERIOR: tall and narrow, with crossing tower with quatrefoil pierced parapet and pinnacles, 5-light windows to both transepts and the west and east ends, 3-light chancel windows, 2-light aisle windows, clerestory. Bellcote over west end has small flying buttresses and crocketed pinnacles. INTERIOR: reputed to contain tall octagonal piers to nave arcades, aisleless chancel, Pusey chapel by GF Bodley, 1890. Reredos by Temple Moore, 1921. STAINED GLASS: the four 5-light windows described by Pevsner as 'of great merit, in the style of the C13 and in glowing colour, nothing yet of Victorian insipidity'; designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin and executed by O'Connor to Pusey's directions worked out with Benjamin Webb of the Cambridge Camden Society. The windows of the north end of the north aisle and the north porch are by Morris and Co and were made between 1875 and 1880; single figures of saints, and Fra Angelico. The church was built just after the completion of the rebuilt parish church for Dean Hook and was the centre of a major controversy over church ritual. Dr Pusey, Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford University and a leading member of the Oxford Movement was the leading patron of the living, together with 3 other Tractarians; he financed the building anonymously as the earliest Tractarian parochial experiment outside London. The building is of a high standard of craftsmanship but was not completed: the tall spire, (modelled on St Mary's, Oxford), and pinnacles along the eaves were not built; the corbel tables, crocketed pinnacles and stops to the window hoodmoulds were left uncarved. HISTORICAL NOTE: attacks on the Anglo-Catholic Oxford Movement in Leeds reached extreme proportions between 1845 and 1851, led by both Anglicans and Non Conformists, St Saviour's Church being considered an 'obnoxious influence'; it was to become a typical and successful ritualist church of the late C19 during the incumbency of John Wylde, 1877-1929. (Pevsner, N: The Buildings of England: Yorkshire West Riding:

1967-; Fraser, D (Ed): A History of Modern Leeds: 1980-: 263; Thoresby Society Publication: Yates, N: Leeds and the Oxford Movement: 1975-: 27-31).



Listing NGR: SE3129632958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466296
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fraser, D, A History of Modern Leeds, (1980), 263
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Yates, N, Leeds and the Oxford Movement, (1975), 27-31

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].