CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375520
Date first listed:
26-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375520.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:01:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Haverhill
National Grid Reference:
TL 67153 45520

Details

HAVERHILL

TL6745 HIGH STREET 816-1/5/19 (South West side) 26/06/52 Church of St Mary

II*

Church. West tower C14 with Perpendicular upper stages, remainder with some C13 evidence, rebuilt C15, restored after fire of 1667. Major restoration 1867 by Elmslie & Franey: rebuilt nave arcades, refurbished roofs, reseated and opened up C15 south chapel arcades. Further restoration 1908-9 by HB Thake extending north aisle to east end and adding two vestries. Flint with conglomerate and ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower with C19 mouchette west window: diagonal buttresses to west, side buttresses to east. Ringing chamber with slit windows; 2-light transomed belfry openings; crenellated parapet. Polygonal stair turret to south-east entered through external door above which is inscription: 'Turret rebuilt MDCCCLI'. North doorway of 1867: square hood with quatrefoils and dragons in spandrels. Four 3-light Perpendicular north aisle windows and plain aisle parapet. Rood stair turret developed into polygonal turret in C19. Four 4-light south aisle windows and one 4-light west aisle window. Crenellated parapet. C15 south porch, restored, with stepped diagonal buttresses with pinnacles: 4-centred outer arch and 4-centred inner doorway with minimal shields in spandrels: 2-light windows to east and west. South chapel lit through two 3-light Perpendicular windows. Priests' door blocked with brick in C20. North and south clerestories with five 2-light Perpendicular windows. 5-light Perpendicular chancel east window of C19 origins. North vestries with Tudor details. INTERIOR: 5-bay nave arcades of quatrefoil piers on tall polygonal bases: polygonal capitals support double-chamfered arches. Two west bays of nave screened-off in late C20. Early C14 tower arch consisting of quatrefoil responds and double-chamfered arch. Polygonal responds to chancel arch under hollow and chamfered arch: north pier pierced by cusped and subcusped doorway. 2-bay chancel arcade, that to north of 1908: quatrefoil piers and wave-moulded arches. Nave and aisle roofs are panelled, chancel roofed by boarded 4-centred vault. East end of north aisle: font with early C16 octagonal bowl decorated with cusped foliate circles alternating with Perpendicular tracery patterns on C19 stem.



North chancel wall: monument to John Ward, died 1602: bulbous strapwork obelisk frames 2 inscription tablets above a pendant apron. Both tablets with copious inscriptions. (Brown C: Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991-: 102; Pevsner N: BOE: Suffolk, 2nd Edition: Harmondsworth: 1974-: 252).



Listing NGR: TL6715345520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
466418
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brown, , Kindred, , Dictionary of Architects of Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914, (1991), 102
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 252

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12882/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].