TRITON AND DRYADS FOUNTAIN, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1375637
Date first listed:
09-Jul-1998
Statutory Address:
TRITON AND DRYADS FOUNTAIN, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS, REGENTS PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRITON AND DRYADS FOUNTAIN, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 18:59:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRITON AND DRYADS FOUNTAIN, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS, REGENTS PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28189 82709

Details

TQ 2882 NW REGENTS PARK

1900/25/10121 Triton and Dryads Fountain Queen Mary's Gardens

II

Ornamental fountain and basin situated on a terrace and forming the focal point of a north/south axial walk. Designed 1936 by William Macmillan but not erected until 1950. Donated to Queen Mary's Gardens by Sigismund Goetze. Cast bronze statue of Triton sounding a conch shell, flanked by two nereids and interwoven fish. Situated in the centre of a 45' diameter stone basin inscribed on the rim, "In memory of Sigismund Christian Hubert Goetze 1866-1939 Painter Lover of the Arts and Benefactor of this Park". History: the pool and fountain were offered by the painter and sculptor Sigismund Goetze when the former Royal Botanic Society gardens were redesigned by Duncan Campbell, Superintendent of Regent's Park for the Ministry of Works, to provide new gardens, an open air theatre and cafe. The terrace layout was designed by Goetze, in collaboration with Carnpbell, to replace a former conservatory. William Macmillan (1887-1977) was a sculptor of considerable eminence being the youngest sculptor ever to be elected ARA, Master of the Sculpture School 1929-41 and rising to Senior RA in 1962. Due to the intervention of the Second World War the sculpture was not finished and unveiled until 1950 when it received a gold medal award as the best London sculpture exhibited that year. Goetze, who lived at Nuffield Lodge, commissioned and presented a number of features to be donated to Queen Mary's Gardens (qv), a practice his wife continued in other London parks after his death through her Constance Fund.



Listing NGR: TQ2818982709

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469611
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].