LOST BOW STATUE, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1375638

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1998

Statutory Address: LOST BOW STATUE, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS, REGENTS PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOST BOW STATUE, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 07:54:23.

Location

Statutory Address: LOST BOW STATUE, QUEEN MARYS GARDENS, REGENTS PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28245 82552

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2882 NW REGENT'S PARK

1900/25/10124 Lost Bow Statue, Queen Mary's Gardens

II

Ornamental sculpture on a pedestal situated at the head of the lake. Signed and dated Albert H Hodge, 12-3-10. Portland stone rectangular pedestal. Cast bronze statue of a putto, nude apart from a helmet, small cloak and quiver of arrows, sitting astride a large, naturalistically modelled vulture which has his how pinned beneath its talons. The vulture gazes backwards towards the putto whose raised hand holds an arrow with which to stab the bird. History: The sculpture is believed to have been commissioned by the painter and sculptor Sigismund Goetze (1866-1939) for his home and forms a pair with The Mighty Hunter (qv). It is known to have been presented to Queen Mary's Gardens in 1939 following their redesigning (which included a theatre and cafe) by Duncan Campbell, Superintendent of Regent's Park for the Ministry of Works. Goetze, who lived at Nuffield Lodge, commissioned and presented a number of features to Queen Mary's Gardens (qv), a practice his wife continued in other London parks after his death through her Constance Fund. Albert Hodge (1875-1918) began training in Glasgow as an architect but became a specialist in architectural sculpture, working for many important architects on prestigious commissions including the Victoria and Albert Museum, Glamorgan County Hall, Cardiff and reliefs on the Robert Burns Monument in Stirling.



Listing NGR: TQ2824582552

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469612

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing