This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1375691



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469670

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ4065 RIVER DEE 1932-1/8/66 Chester Weir and Salmon Leap


Weir and former causeway across River Dee. 1093. By Hugh Lupus first Earl of Chester. For St Werburgh's Benedictine Abbey (now Cathedral Church of Christ & the Blessed Virgin Mary, Chester IM). Altered. Sandstone. Continuous weir with sloping spillway of large rectangular stones. 120m long, at an acute angle to the banks and at its north-west end parallel with the bank for 33m, designed to provide the necessary head of water for the medieval Mills of Dee, built and enlarged from 1093 to provide 6 mill-wheels and trains of machinery by 1270; stone salmon leap, altered; leat for later mill, altered, adjoining the south bank. The mills on the north bank were demolished 1910, that on the south bank c1970. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Mills of Dee for which it provided power were amongst the largest and most valuable in England during the C13, the annual rental being 270 pounds. The weir was restored early C20 to serve the City Council's hydro-electric power station, which operated 1913 to 1939, on the site of the former mills. (Cheshire SMR: Collens J: 3008/4/2; History of Cornmilling: Bennet R & Elton J: Some Feudal Mills: Liverpool: 1904-).

Listing NGR: SJ4076765828

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bennet, R, Elton, J, History of Cornmilling, (1904)

National Grid Reference: SJ 40767 65828


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375691 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 03:05:06.

End of official listing