WALMOOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1375760
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Jul-1998
Statutory Address:
WALMOOR HOUSE, DEE BANKS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375760.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:07:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALMOOR HOUSE, DEE BANKS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ4205365917

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ46NW DEE BANKS 1932-1/2/59 (West side) 10/01/72 Walmoor House (Formerly Listed as: DEE BANKS Walmoor Hill)

II*

House, later girls school, then County Fire Service headquarters. 1896. By John Douglas for himself. Snecked red sandstone with tooled surfaces; grey-green slate roof. T-shaped, in Elizabethan manner, main wing crowning steep Dee-side slope. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys. The east, entrance front is composed as a squat 3-storey tower, left, with corbelled octagonal stair-turret against 2-storey projecting porch with oriel above basket-arch of entrance; a 2-storey range between porch and incomplete servants' wing, right; crenellated tower at junction of wings; stone-mullioned leaded windows; parapets, some crenellated; hipped roofs. Stringcourses, sparingly used. The north face of the servants' wing is simply expressed. The west face to the Dee, set on a precipitous bank, has canted bay windows to end of north wing of basement and 3 storeys; octagonal tower rising to 4 storeys at junction of wings; 3-window range of 2 storeys; 3 storey south bay with large canted projection to outer corner holding large mullioned and transomed windows to ground and first floors and small second-floor windows. INTERIOR retains many features including the principal reception room, now conference room, the stair and notably the oratory in the chamber above the main entrance. The plan is foreshadowed on a smaller scale by the former rectory of St Thomas's Church, Parkgate Road (qv) on a similar westward-facing valley-brow site, 1880; his unexecuted ideal design for such a site, larger than Walmoor and a schloss, was published in British Architect, 68, 1907. (Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 7-9; 189; RCHME: Historic Building Report - Walmoor Hill, Dee Banks, Chester: Swindon: 1997-).





Listing NGR: SJ4205365917

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469739
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hubbard, E, The Work of John Douglas, (2013), 7-9, 189

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].