CHESTER RAILWAY STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1375937

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1998

Statutory Address: CHESTER RAILWAY STATION, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHESTER RAILWAY STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375937 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:18:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHESTER RAILWAY STATION, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SJ4131866980

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ4166 1932-1/6/266 31/07/70

CHESTER CITY (EM) STATION ROAD (North side)

Chester Railway Station (Formerly Listed as: CITY ROAD Chester General Station Entrance (including Mold Wing))

II*

GV

Railway station, offices and shop. 1847-8. By CH Wild and Francis Thompson, with some involvement by Robert Stephenson; the contractor Thomas Brassey. Stone-dressed pale brown brick; slate and glazed roofs. Italianate style. PLAN/EXTERIOR: 2 storeys to front; a long, symmetrical central block with end pavilions plus a 10-window right wing, a shorter left wing and the Mold Wing set forward with a 2-storey 6-window section then a 12-bay train-shed. The very long overall facade is architecturally homogeneous, punctuated with projecting pavilions. 4 cast-iron columns support glazed entrance-canopy with trusses on ornate arched brackets. A shallower canopy of 4 bays right and 3 bays left on cantilevered wrought-iron brackets. A plastered groin-vaulted loggia under the left pavilion; the right pavilion contains offices. The ground-floor windows are round-arched with large margin-paned sashes in moulded stone cases. Margined 12-pane sashes to first floor have pedimented cases. The pavilions have emphasised detail including balconies, and corner turrets with paired round-arched openings. The central sashes are tripartite. The wings are expressed similarly to the central range; all have friezes and cornices. The Mold wing, far left, expressed similarly to the other facades, its 3-window right end facing the main station forecourt and the long side of the offices plus the former train-shed parallel with the main frontage. It has boldly corniced chimneys. INTERIOR: the entrance and former public rooms, including refreshment room where in 1859 "the utmost wish of your soul" could "be incontinently gratified" (T Hughes - The Stranger's Guide) are stripped or covered. The concourse has round-arched doorways and windows to former public rooms and offices and brick basket arches and round arch to platforms; glazed roof. A grand stone-dressed brick stair to each end of the iron lattice-girdered footbridge linking near and far platforms. Platforms 4 and 7 form an island between tracks with accommodation in two pavilions, of 11 and 13 bays



respectively, of stone-dressed brick with doors and margin-paned sashes in round-arched openings. The main canopy has twin ridges running parallel with the tracks. The inner edge is carried on a brick arcade running between the second and third track of the main line. The valley between the ridges is on 5 cast-iron columns between the pavilions. The outer edge is on a lattice girder and stanchions. The north bay platforms have a C20 canopy. HISTORICAL NOTE: at first the station served several railway companies and until closure of Chester Northgate Station c1969 was named Chester General. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-: 159; Bartholomew City Guides: Harris B: Edinburgh: 1979-: 166-7).

Listing NGR: SJ 41318 66980

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 469916

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971), 159
Harris, B, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in Chester, (1979), 166-7

End of official listing