FORMER STEAM FLOUR MILL AT SJ 4127 6662

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1375938
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1989
Statutory Address:
FORMER STEAM FLOUR MILL AT SJ 4127 6662, STEAM MILL STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375938.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2021 at 18:04:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER STEAM FLOUR MILL AT SJ 4127 6662, STEAM MILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ 41270 66620

Details

CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 STEAM MILL STREET 1932-1/6/267 (West side) 06/11/89 Former Steam Flour Mill at SJ 4127 6662

GV II

Former steam-powered flour mill, now warehouse and workshop. c1785 and early and mid C19, with chimney above roof-level, boilerhouse and engine house since demolished. Brown brick in irregular English garden wall bond; grey slate roofs. PLAN/EXTERIOR: erected in 3 phases, the present building is U-shaped; the middle wing facing Steam Mill Street stands in the position of the Steam Mill shown on Weston's map of Chester dated 1789 and incorporates what may be original cast-iron columns and beams; the 4-storey north wing facing the Chester Canal is probably early C19; the external features of the middle and south wings are probably 1840s. The square internal chimney below roof level survives at the junction of the middle and south wings. The building is functional with no applied ornament. Stone sills and cambered brick window-heads; some openings are bricked up and a few are altered; those in the middle and south wings have 36-72 pane cast-iron windows, some with hoppers of 4-panes and some with inserted casements; a round-arched window in gable of loft; the north wing has no sills and replaced 2-pane horizontally-sliding sashes. The eaves and verges of the north wing are simply corbelled in brick; the middle and south wings have stone-coped parapet gables. INTERIOR: the north wing could not be inspected; the middle wing is of 4 bays with round cast-iron columns carrying heavy T-shaped iron beams some with damaged webs; the webs form shallow triangles, increasing in depth towards the centre of span. The south wing has large timber beams on inserted riveted stanchions and a goods lift in a shaft dated 1898. The external walls are up to 3 feet (1m) thick. Of prime interest are the very early establishment of a steam-powered canal-side flour mill and the cast-iron columns and beams. (Map of the Loyal City of Chester: Surveyed by Samuel Weston; Engraved by James Hunter: 1789-; Ordnance Survey Town Map of Chester: 1875-).



Listing NGR: SJ4127066620

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469917
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/14627/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].