COLDHAM COTTAGE AND ATTACHED CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST JOSEPH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1375999
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
COLDHAM COTTAGE AND ATTACHED CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST JOSEPH, BURY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1375999.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 15:26:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLDHAM COTTAGE AND ATTACHED CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST JOSEPH, BURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Lawshall
National Grid Reference:
TL8575355891

Details

TL 85 NE 922/2/10031

LAWSHALL BURY ROAD Coldham Cottage and attached Church of Our Lady and St.Joseph

II

House (formerly priest's house) and attached Roman Catholic Church. Late C17/early C18 with church of1870. Timber-frame whitewashed and rendered with pantile roof and brick central ridge and right end projecting stacks. House has through-passage plan but perhaps lobby-entry originally. 2 storeys and attic; 2-window range of C20 casements. Gabled porch and door. C20 windows on right end and to rear where there is a single-storey wing. INTERIOR: framing visible includes chamfered bridging beams and tie beams though those to ground-floor left room may have been replaced. Here an open fireplace with bressumer and hood above. Deep cupboard with 4-panel door with HL hinges could have been lobby for a lobby-entry originally. Right room has C18 fireplace surround. 6-panel back door has massive HL hinges. Winder stairs, plank and panel doors with H or HL hinges. First floor has C18 fireplace surround with early C19 cast iron grate and wide floorboards. 4-panel doors with HL hinges. Attic has wide boards and unusual lengthwise bridging beams with chamfers facing upwards. Floor below may have been raised at some time. Roof has coupled rafters and continues over adjacent church. Church: 1870 with part originally the priest's house. Similar materials. Simply tracery wooden windows, 2 light to front and rear, a single 3-light to ritual west end. Gabled porch front. INTERIOR: Simple interior has set of C19 engravings as the Stations of the Cross and a Crucifixion at east end. Part of roof a simple vault under earlier roof (see above) and part C19 scissor braced. HISTORY: Coldham Cottage was, in C18 and until recently, the local Roman Catholic presbytery. Unti11868 the priest officiated in the chapel at Coldham Hall (qv) but after the sale of the estate in that year a separate church was built utilising one unit of the existing house (kitchen and bedroom with removal of floor) and building on an extension. The whole represents an unusual and rare instance of continuing Catholic use from at least C18. Source: East Anglian Guild Magazine, Vol. 14, Summer 1946.

Listing NGR: TL8575355891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469980
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'East Anglian Guild Magazine' in East Anglian Guild Magazine, , Vol. 14, (1946)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15927/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].