3-6, ABBEY GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1376019
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
3-6, ABBEY GREEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376019.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 22:59:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
3-6, ABBEY GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40508 66638

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066NW ABBEY GREEN 595-1/1/3 Nos.3-6 (Consecutive) 28/07/55

GV II*

Terrace of 4 town houses. Late C18. For leaseholders from the Dean and Chapter of Chester Cathedral. Flemish bond brown brick with grey slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 13 windows to upper storeys. 2 stone steps on partly brick risers to doors of 6 flush panels with plain overlights in timber cases with eared architraves, plain friezes and moulded cornice hoods. Flush sashes with painted stone sills and rusticated wedge lintels with false keystones. The first storey from north, has door and 2 windows to No.3, 2 windows, door and one window to No.4, door and 2 windows to No.5 and 2 windows and door to No.6. An unbroken vertical joint between Nos 5 & 6. Nos 3, 4 & 5 have 4-pane sashes to each storey except third storey of No.3 which is 6-pane; No.6 has glazing bars removed from first and second storey and 6-pane sashes to third storey. Painted stone cornice beneath brick parapet with plain stone coping. Iron rainwater pipes and heads. The north end wall of No.3 is rebuilt, C20 with one 13-pane sash each to the first and second storeys and a 6-pane sash to the third storey. 3 chimneys in front of ridge and 4 behind it. The rear has irregular fenestration, largely small-pane flush sashes. INTERIOR: No.4 has doors of 6 fielded panels, panelled embrasures with shutters, cornices, a good open-string stair with shaped brackets, 3 column-on-vase balusters per step, swept handrail with rose, turned lower storey newels and square newels to upper storey. Third storey doors of 4 fielded panels. No.5 has cellar with sandstone rubble south, east and west walls and brick north wall; stone cellar steps, doors of 6 and 4 fielded panels; embrasure benches and shutters; cornices. Open-string stair of one flight per storey has open string with brackets, curtail step; 3 column-on-vase balusters per step, swept rail with rose and dado rail. Doors have HL hinges and old latches; the second-storey rear room has a good cast-iron fireplace in carved wood surround; a good fireplace in third storey front room and a modest one in the back room; one door of 2 fielded panels; cornices removed in third storey. The interiors of Nos 3 & 6 could not be inspected but probably have features similar to those in Nos 4 & 5.



HISTORICAL NOTE: the terrace is shown on the map of Chester surveyed by Weston and published by James Hunter in 1789. (Weston: Map of Chester: Chester: 1789-).



Listing NGR: SJ4050866638

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470005
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Title: Map of Chester Source Date: 1789 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/12710/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].