This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1376086



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1989

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Aug-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470074

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ4066SE BRIDGE STREET AND ROW 595-1/4/49 (West side) 10/01/89 No.40 Street and No.40 Row (Formerly Listed as: BRIDGE STREET No.40)


Vintner's shop and offices, now office unoccupied. Substantially rebuilt 1858. By James Harrison for Welsby's. Stone-dressed brick, painted, and brown brick with tiled roof at right-angle to Bridge Street. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys including undercroft and Row levels; loose Gothic Revival. The office front to the street is rendered, with door and window altered; a projecting porch, north, and a shaped timber bracket, south, support a projecting balcony in front of the Row walk; renewed wooden balusters and rail; unpainted yellow sandstone end-piers with stopped ovolo chamfers and cusped brackets on foliar corbels support a bressumer with stopped reeded chamfer; altered steps and concrete footbridge across Pierpoint Lane, 1970s; sandstone riser and flag pavement to balcony; concreted Row walk; painted stone rear wall has shopfront in a shoulder-arched opening with, each shouldered, a central shortened mid C19 part-glazed 3-panel door with 1-pane overlight and a 1-pane window of vertical proportion to each side; south of the shopfront a shoulder-arched passage entry has a door with central reed and 4 panels, the lower pair raised and the upper pair with cusped heads beneath a plain overlight; archway over north end of Row walk has moulded chamfers to stone lintel on shaped brackets; narrow stop-chamfered joists to plastered ceiling. The upper storeys of stone-dressed brick have flush quoins; the third storey has a stone-corbelled 4-light canted oriel with 4-pane sashes in shoulder-arched lights and a hipped lead roof; the fourth storey has a moulded band beneath the flush sill of a triple sash of 2; 2; 2 panes with arched heads; the stone-dressed front gable has a shaped kneeler, moulded coping and foliar-headed octagonal finial. The north face to Pierpoint Lane, of brown brick in irregular bond is evidently older than the Bridge Street front and visible internal features; the third storey has 2 dual sashes of 8; 8 panes with painted stone sills and cambered brick heads. The rear has a probably inserted full-width segmental brick arch infilled C20 with weatherboarded face; evidence of a

2-storey gabled rear wing, now demolished; a dual sash and a single sash, each small and of 2 panes, to the third storey and a dual sash of 8; 8 panes to the fourth storey; the shaped kneeler and coping to the rear gable were probably added 1858. INTERIOR: the undercroft, 3 steps down, is covered in modern linings. The Row storey has cornices, probably 1858; the third and fourth storeys could not be inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Builder v.16 p.269, April 17 1858 reported on this site: "In excavating for new buildings opposite the Feathers Inn, several bases of Roman character have been discovered at a depth of 4 feet below the surface. They are in their original positions, forming a colonnade, placed four yards apart, resting on large blocks of stone 12 inches thick. The new building will be of brick, with white stone dressings, in the medieval style of fourteenth century, presenting a gable to the street, and having a projecting bow-window to the room over the Row. A shop in Bridge Street Row is also to have timber work characteristic of Chester in the fourteenth century. Mr. Harrison is architect to both buildings." (Chester Rows Research Project: Harris R: Archive, Bridge Street West: 1989-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire: Harmondsworth: 1971-: 167; The Builder: 1858-: 269).

Listing NGR: SJ4052966159

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971), 167
'The Builder' in The Builder, (1858), 269

National Grid Reference: SJ 40529 66159


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376086 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 05:24:52.

End of official listing