Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376107.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 21:19:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40587 66102



SJ4066SE BRIDGE STREET AND ROW 595-1/4/80 (East side) 28/07/55 Heritage Centre (Formerly Listed as: BRIDGE STREET (East side) Church of St Michael (no longer in ecclesiastical use))


Parish Church of St Michael, now Heritage Centre. C15, 1496, 1678 and 1849-50, stripped of furnishings 1972-5. By James Harrison. The stonework is largely 1849-50; yellow sandstone with grey slate roof. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel and former vestry. EXTERIOR: the south end of the Bridge Street Row passes through the open first stage of the tower, also serving as the west porch, with stone steps up to the main Row north and down to the pavement, south. The buttresses are octagonal to the first stage, diagonal to the second stage and clasping to the third stage; a string course at each stage; the second stage has a 2-light window with simple tracery to each face; a rectangular loop above the north window, a clock-face west and a blank clock-face panel south; the third stage has a paired bell-opening under an ogee hood to each face, a course of carved panels and a stringcourse with gargoyles under a crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles; a wind vane. The west window to the north aisle has 2 lights with simple tracery; the diagonally-boarded pair of oak west doors have ornate wrought-iron hinges. The south side of the nave has one 2-light and two 3-light traceried windows; the chancel has two 2-light traceried windows. The east end has a diagonally-boarded oak door on wrought-iron hinges, a 4-light reticulated east window with stained glass and a 3-light window with stained glass by Clayton and Bell to the north aisle; the north face is featureless and partly built against. The walls are crenellated; the chancel's gable-coping has a finial cross; carved heads as mould-stops. The stonework and details are damaged by sandblasting c1975. INTERIOR: under repair and not fully inspected, has a C15 north arcade with octagonal piers, a chancel roof of 1496, narrower than the present building which was widened in 1678, and a monument to Roger Comberbach, 1771 by Benjamin Bromfield.

Listing NGR: SJ4058766102


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06877/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John L. Wishlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].