HERNE HILL RAILWAY STATION, ENTRANCE BLOCK ONLY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376144
Date first listed:
20-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
HERNE HILL RAILWAY STATION, ENTRANCE BLOCK ONLY, RAILTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HERNE HILL RAILWAY STATION, ENTRANCE BLOCK ONLY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 19:54:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
HERNE HILL RAILWAY STATION, ENTRANCE BLOCK ONLY, RAILTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31950 74400

Details

TQ 3174 RAILTON ROAD 963/23/10067 Herne Hill Railway Station, Entrance Block only

II

Railway station building. 1862, for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. London stock brick with white al red brick decorations and a Welsh slate roof. The railway runs on a viaduct at this point and the platfoms are at first floor level. Entrance block: Two storey block, six windows in width, with a three storey tow on the left and a two storey wing on the right, both set back slightly. White banding to the brickwork and red dressings to the window heads which also have white keystones. The main block has replacement sash windows, arranged 2+2+2, the "central pair being both smaller and closer together. All the windows have pointed heads. Central entrance on the ground floor, which has paired arched doorways with replacement joinery. The entrance has a timber canopy on three carved brackets and with a fretted valance. Hipped roof over the main block with a chimney to the right. The tower has an entrance door on the ground floor leading to a subway under the tracks, paired recesses as the windows on the first floor, and arcading on the upper floor which continues on all faces pyramid roof above with a secondary chimney. The wing to the right has a single window above a shop, lean-to roof. Interior: The booking hall and the staircase have been recased in modern materials. Upper floors not available for inspection. Platform elevation: This is single storey with all openings blocked as the platform has not been in use for many years. The wall is panelled with all the previous openings still expressed. A hipped platform canopy with slate roof still survives. The two island platforms currently in use were reconstructed with buildings and steel canopies the early C20. History: This station was built by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and was opened to traffic on 25 August 1862. The consulting engineer to the railway was Joseph Cubitt. The Company was amalgamated with the South Eastern Railway in 1898 to become the South Eastern and Chatham Railway, and became a constituent of the Southern railway in 1923.



Listing NGR: TQ3195074400

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470136
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02558/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Les Kerry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].