LUTON TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376193
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
LUTON TOWN HALL, GEORGE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376193.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 22:54:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
LUTON TOWN HALL, GEORGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Luton (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TL 09006 21329

Details

TL 02 SE 999/6/10007

LUTON GEORGE STREET Luton Town Hall II

Town Hall. 1935-36, with alterations and additions c. 1960. By Bradshaw Gass and Hope, architects, of Bolton. Portland stone facings to brickwork, with ashlar carved decoration. Copper-clad mansard roof of c.1960. Neo-classical style, with Art Deco detailing. Splayed U-plan, the principal elevation facing south-east along George Street, and flanking ranges extending northwards and to the west, the latter with the semi-circular ended Council Chamber facing north to the rear. FRONT ELEVATION (south-east): 4 storeys above a basement, 5 bays with advanced wide central bay below a pediment. Diastyle in Antis entrance with Doric columns, with set-back curved flanking ranges of 2 bays rising from a shallow plinth. Main entrance with moulded surround, and bracketed cornice carrying shallow balcony. Above the pediment , stepped base of 144 ft. clock tower incorporates the coat of arms of Luton Borough Council. 3 -stage tower with shallow domed cap and finial. 9 foot diameter clock face to each facade of first stage. Flanking ranges with multi-paned metal window frames in moulded surrounds. Shallow 2-light window behind shallow parapet to third floor, and above, to lower 3-light openings to former attic storey, now set below added mansard roof. Similarly detailed flanking ranges, of 7 bays to the north and 11 bays to the west, both with secondary entrances, that to the west with flanking wall mounted bronze lanterns. INTERIOR: Main entrance with metal framed windows in Art Deco style. Bronze screen doors to entrance hall with gilt coat of arms above glazed bronze doors. Staircase hall with decorative bronze screens as radiator grilles. Elaborately decorated staircase with bronze balustrading and thistle and rose decorative motifs. Principal first floor rooms, including committee rooms, Mayor' Parlour, and the Council Chamber are served from the corridors leading from the stair head. These areas retain original fittings and finishes in timber, plaster and metal, in a mixture of the Neo-classical and the Art Deco styles, as designed by the architects, and are particularly noteworthy in the Council Chamber and in Committee Room 2. Forms a group with the War Memorial (gv) HISTORY: The design for the Town Hall was selected by competition, for which there were 86 entries in 1930. The earlier town hall of 1847 was burnt down as a result of the Peace Riots' of July 19th, 1919. A notable example of Inter-War municipal architecture, which, although altered, retains much original detail, both external and internal, including architect-designed fixtures and fitting. The building was designed to create a powerful and highly visible landmark in the centre of the settlement, a function which it admirably fulfils despite extensive subsequent re-development in the centre of Luton.

Listing NGR: TL0900621329

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470187
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00534/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Whitcroft. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].