This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1376247



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Aug-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 470241

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ4066SE EASTGATE STREET AND ROW 595-1/4/150 (North side) 28/07/55 Church of St Peter (Formerly Listed as: EASTGATE STREET Church of St Peter)


Parish church, now church and Christian centre. Said to have been founded by Ethelfleda in 907, the present structure is C14, C15 and C16, altered and restored C17, C18 and C19. Red sandstone; roof not visible. PLAN: approximately square in plan. The north aisle contained beneath floor level the undercroft of a medieval town house, filled and paved over. Embraced west tower, formerly with spire; continuous nave and chancel of 4 aisles with floor at level of Watergate Row. EXTERIOR: south face: flight of 7 stone steps leads to south doors and to Watergate Row. Replaced diagonal-boarded double doors in restored archway; 3 rectangular windows, 1886-9, of 4 lights with 3 Decorated windows above, rebuilt in Perpendicular style 1886-9; stonework of south face partly removed by Thomas Harrison 1803, where the Pentice (Council Chamber) was removed. The tower rises one stage above roof, with clock, bell opening of 2 cusped lights, crenellation, crocketed pinnacles and a pyramid roof of slate in the manner of John Douglas, late C19, with its faces interrupted by a continuous, horizontal louvre; wind vane; there was formerly a spire, removed and rebuilt C16, taken down C17, then rebuilt and finally removed C18. The west end, partly behind the Victoria public house, Nos 2 & 4 Watergate Street and Row (qv), has a plain face to the tower. The north windows of the Perpendicular north aisle have panel tracery. The east end has 2 low-pitched gables, plainly expressed. The 2 central aisles of the nave have traceried windows larger than that of the south aisle, formerly the chapel of St George; the north aisle, now containing the organ, has an inserted rectangular window of 2 lights. INTERIOR: the 3-bay arcades do not match the window bays. The tower piers, rectangular in plan, support a ribbed vault of 8 panels over the baptistry, with a circular bell-hole. The north-east pier has a damaged medieval fresco around a niche which held a Virgin and Child. The 2 southern arcades with through mouldings are Decorated, the northern arcade Perpendicular, dated 1535-38. The outer north aisle has a

lean-to roof of low pitch with arch-braced main beams which have carved foliar bosses, and carved spandrels of 3 trusses; the inner north aisle has a restored camber-beam roof; the inner south aisle has shallow king-post trusses; the roof to the outer south aisle is replaced. Galleries were first recorded in 1637, but were altered C18 and C19; they cover the outer north and south aisles and part of the west end. 2 carved corbel stones project from the south wall; a C15 bronze, said to commemorate a lawyer; pews probably mid to late C19; east window glass 1862 and 1963, one to Prince Albert; monument on north wall, c1750, to Henry Bennett; bells by Rudhall of Gloucester, 1709. (Cheshire Sites and Monuments Record: Collens J: Chester City: 3007/12/1).

Listing NGR: SJ4052866303

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 40526 66300


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 01:02:08.

End of official listing