GROSVENOR MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376261
Date first listed:
06-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
GROSVENOR MUSEUM, GROSVENOR STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROSVENOR MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376261 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 21:22:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROSVENOR MUSEUM, GROSVENOR STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ4047465946

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4065NW GROSVENOR STREET 595-1/5/197 (South East side) Grosvenor Museum

GV II

Museum. 1885. By TM Lockwood at expense of the first Duke of Westminster. Stone-dressed Ruabon red brick with steep red-tile roof. EXTERIOR: basement and 3 storeys; in TM Lockwood's manner, opulent. Plinth with band; 2 basement windows east of door and 2 to west. The round-arched entrance, east of centre, has 3 stone steps to landing with wrought-iron double gates, then 4 steps to glazed double doors and screen. The elaborate doorcase has composite pillars, that to west inscribed THIS STONE WAS LAID BY THE DUKE OF WESTMINSTER FEBRUARY 3RD 1885; ornate moulded voussoirs and key; a Muse in each stone spandrel, one with a palette, the other with globe and compasses; ornate 2-panel frieze with Grosvenor and Chester City arms and date 1885, three stone-dressed cross-windows west of entrance and 2 transomed 1-light windows to east; stringcourse above lintels. The second storey has dentilled floor-string, 3 cross-windows west of the entrance, 3 separate rectangular lights above the doorcase and two 1-light transomed windows east; a stringcourse above the lintels carries the plinths of composite pilasters. The third storey has 3 cross-windows with double transoms west of the entrance. One above the entrance in a projecting panel on an ornate corbelled plinth; 2 double-transom 1-light windows, east; corner oriel on ornate stone corbel; swag frieze and dentilled cornice; necked gables above entrance bay and central window in west wing, each bearing a stone eagle about to take flight. The oriel terminates as a tourelle with a cupola roof characteristic of Lockwood. The very steep hipped roof behind the entrance and east bays is of 2-storey height with one lucarne in the lower storey, 2 in the upper storey and a short ridge with finials and an octagonal lantern cupola. INTERIOR: a round archway on polished granite columns with a smaller arch, on a corbel, to each side leads to a circular stair-hall having mosaic floor with armorial centrepiece; mosaic dado; the raked lecture-theatre, west, has 3-panel ceiling with cross-beams on consoles and dentil cornices. The gallery, east, has moulded frieze and dentil cornice to coved ceiling. The lobby behind the stair-hall leads to the Georgian House, No.20 Castle Street (qv). The front room west of the entrance hall could not be inspected; the east room has an ornate fireplace and overmantel, carved window-arrises and cornice. Geometrical stone stair with mosaic dado rises in 4 flights to second and third storeys where the rooms could not be inspected; the half-drum above the stair has pilasters carrying arched radial trusses beneath a rooflight.



Listing NGR: SJ4047465946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470255
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04053/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J Tuck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].