ODDFELLOWS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1376299
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Aug-1998
Statutory Address:
ODDFELLOWS HALL, 16-24, LOWER BRIDGE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376299.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:25:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
ODDFELLOWS HALL, 16-24, LOWER BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40571 66025

Details

CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066SE LOWER BRIDGE STREET 595-1/4/233 (West side) 28/07/55 Nos.16-24 (Even) Oddfellows Hall (Formerly Listed as: LOWER BRIDGE STREET (West side) Nos 16-22 (even) & No 24 (Bridge House))

GV II*

Town house, then a school, now club, offices and shops. 1676 altered 1678 for Lady Mary Calveley, occupied early C18 by John Williams, Attorney General of Denbighshire and Montgomeryshire from 1702 and Cheshire and Flintshire in 1727, access altered late C19, the north bay added C19 and the first storey of the front projected to include shops late C19. Brown brick in irregular bond, rendered to the front; hipped grey slate roof, belled towards eaves, rises to a central rectangular flat roof, with formerly symmetrically placed lateral chimneys. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys of 5, then 6, bays. The first storey, in C19 manner, has projecting porch to third bay from south with basket arch under broken pediment with egg-and-dart moulding, with a bulgy pilaster to each side;; ODDFELLOWS HALL in raised capitals on the frieze. A projecting shopfront south of porch has a small-pane part-glazed door and a 3-light transomed shop window; 2 similar shopfronts north of the porch with a 3-light window and a 2-light window. The second storey has 6 bays, the added north bay being wider, with 7 pilasters, capitals coinciding with the third storey floor-string. 2 nearly flush 12-pane sashes in eared architraves south of entrance bay and 3 similar sashes north. The entrance bay has a shorter sash of 12 square panes in place of the former front door; before the north bay was added, the front was symmetrical with a pair of quadrant external stairs to the entrance. The third storey has 7 pilasters and 6 tall nearly flush 18-pane sashes. A bold cornice on painted stone brackets. The south side has lowest storey rendered with brown brickwork above; a blocked doorway has stone step. The second storey has a flush 12-pane unequal sash; the second-to-third storey half-landing has an 8;18;8 pane Palladian window in a stone case. Flush sandstone quoins at the south-west corner; sandstone plinth and flush bands to part of south wall;



cornice as to the front. The rear best displays the character of a substantial late C17 town house, with symmetrical elevation of 2 storeys, the ground level one storey above the front pavement level, between flush quoins at both former corners. 5 nearly flush sashes under gauged brick heads to the lower storey and 5 tall 18-pane sashes to the upper storey; cornice as to front; the added northern bay has a matching sixth sash to each storey and a lean-to roof with plain flush verge. The north side is built against. INTERIOR: the entrance bay has inserted stair in plaster-panelled well to the second-storey stair-hall. A bolection-panelled door, now blocked, in each side wall above the stair gave access to the south and north front rooms. Good panelled doors in panelled cases, probably of oak, to major rooms. The front rooms have dado rails and panelling probably of oak, now painted, shuttered embrasures and cornices. The assembly room to the rear, the former garden front, has piers and beam to former folding doors. The south part has panelling, one row beneath dado rail and a tall row above, of oak, marble fireplace and oak overmantel against the south wall: the fireplace has panelled pilasters and frieze with central cartouche of 2 foxes rampant on a shield; the overmantel has swags and a Liver-bird cartouche. The north part has panelled dado, a marble fireplace against the north wall in an oak surround and a moulded plaster ceiling of 3 panels; cornices; all panels fielded, with bolection moulds. The stair hall has panelled dado, plaster panels above stair dado and oak panels to hall. The oak open-well closed-string stair has square newels, 2 massive vase balusters per step and moulded oak rail. The Palladian stair window has Ionic columns and entablatures to the side-lights. The third storey landing is panelled and has an incorrect triglyph frieze and dentil cornice. The rear room has probably Regency fireplace against the south wall and C18 fireplace against the north wall, shuttered embrasures and dentil cornice. The front rooms have panelled dados, panelled embrasures and moulded cornices. HISTORICAL NOTE: an engraving by Batenham, drawn c1816, shows the pair of external stairs of 1678, the first storey expressed as a stone or rendered plinth, the front 5-bay, symmetrical, the plain pilasters and face of the second and third storeys brick with stone floorbands, gauged brick heads to the second storey windows and 2 hipped front-roof gables. The O.S. 1:500 plan surveyed 1872 shows the present sixth bay, but also the external stairs and no projecting shops. (Chester Rows Research Project: Grenville J: Lower Bridge Street West: 1988-; Batenham: Engravings of Chester: 1816-; Ordnance Survey 1:500 Plans, First Edition: Chester: 1872-).



Listing NGR: SJ4057166025

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470294
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03247/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J Tuck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].