MILLBANK BARRACKS NORTH WEST RANGE (FORMER MARRIED QUARTERS), ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376572
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1998
Statutory Address:
MILLBANK BARRACKS NORTH WEST RANGE (FORMER MARRIED QUARTERS), ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS, JOHN ISLIP STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376572.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 04:45:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILLBANK BARRACKS NORTH WEST RANGE (FORMER MARRIED QUARTERS), ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS, JOHN ISLIP STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29977 78501

Details

TQ 2978 NE JOHN ISLIP STREET

1900/105/10198 Millbank Barracks NW range, (Former Married Quarters) Royal Army Medical Corps

GV II

Married quarters. c1898, by the Royal Engineers for the Royal Army Medical Corps. Red brick with Portland stone quoins and dressings; gabled slate roof with banded brick stacks. Rectangular plan. Principal SE elevation of 4 storeys with pedimented 2-window outer and 3-window central blocks, all with rusticated ground floors and linked across 5-window inner ranges by dentilled cornice. Upper floors have 6/6-pane sashes, pedimented and in Gibbs surrounds to first floor. The central block is flanked by large octagonal stair towers, of an unusual design and topped by cupolas with dentilled cornices and crown finials. Ground floor has sashes with radial heads, those to ground floor set behind rusticated stone arcade which bears full-height balconies providing access to apartments which are carried on Doric and then Ionic columns, the upper floor having plain iron balustrade. Similar rustication and window treatment in 3-window pedimented returns. Interior: not inspected. HISTORY: The married quarters and barrack blocks serve to enclose the north-facing parade ground or square. Drawings for the married quarters (qv) were signed by CM Watson, the Inspector General of Fortifications, in 1898: it is probable, although not proven, that both barracks blocks were built to provide accommodation linked also to the Queen Alexandra Military Hospital (opened 1905), which was built on the north part of the huge Millbank Penitentiary Site. These are clearly related to barracks architecture in their planning but more elaborate both in their articulation and architectural quality than any other contemporary designs with the exception of the remarkable Peninsula Barracks in Winchester.









Listing NGR: TQ2997778501

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
470576
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/16321/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].