CHAPEL AT SCARGILL HOUSE, INCLUDING LINKING PASSAGE, STAIRCASE AND VESTRY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1376604

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1998

Statutory Address: CHAPEL AT SCARGILL HOUSE, INCLUDING LINKING PASSAGE, STAIRCASE AND VESTRY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL AT SCARGILL HOUSE, INCLUDING LINKING PASSAGE, STAIRCASE AND VESTRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376604 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2019 at 03:43:26.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL AT SCARGILL HOUSE, INCLUDING LINKING PASSAGE, STAIRCASE AND VESTRY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Kettlewell with Starbotton

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 97799 71067

Details

SD 97 SE 1301/11/10003

KETTLEWELL WITH STARBOTTON Chapel at Scargill House, including linking passage, staircase and vestry

II*

Chapel for religious holiday and conference centre. 1958-61. G.G. Pace. Local limestone rubble, exposed cedar boarding, some exposed concrete, red-cedar shingles to steeply pitched chapel roof, flat roof to link block. Rectangular aisled chapel with serpentine link to Scargill House, containing staircase and vestry; projecting north porch. Chapel is dominated by steeply pitched shingle-covered roof, which sweeps down at a slightly more gradual angle towards the eaves. Gables both glazed, with glazing rising into point of gables, divided by timber mullions and transoms of varying thickness into lights of rectangular shape and varying sizes. Exposed cedar vertical boarding around and below these windows. Prominent buttresses supporting large concrete gutter spouts. Serpentine link of local stone rubble swells to accommodate staircase and attains a monumental scale due to the fall in the land towards Scargill House. It is articulated by rows of linked vertical strip windows. Internally, the altar is placed on the short axis, parallel with the roof ridge, and is set forward from the wall as a broad, low, sanctuary step. Internally the walls are of exposed rubble stone and the roof is supported by large laminated timber trusses, which divide into a `y' shape at the base to define the aisles. The windows are glazed with plain plate glass deliberately chosen to allow glimpses of the dale. Reading desk and chair comprises roughly dressed monolithic stone slabs with `chunky' timber; a pair of pedestals to rear of altar also of stone. A large black metal cross to rear of altar is also in Pace's characteristic manner. `Chunky' timber benches. Simple black metal pendant lights, cylindrical, with slightly flared mouths, are also original. Varnished wood block floor. In the passage a cross is described in studs on the plastered wall of the staircase. Scargill House itself is not included in the listing. One of Pace's best churches, deceptive in its simplicity and designed, using local materials `to appear to grow out of the dale', as Pace intended. It is also liturgically advanced for its date in England, with its free-standing altar placed in front of the side wall.



Listing NGR: SD9779971067

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 470610

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pace, P, The Architecture of George Pace, (1990), 178-179

End of official listing