CLARE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1376670
Date first listed:
19-Dec-1961
Statutory Address:
CLARE PRIORY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376670.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 03:57:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLARE PRIORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
West Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Clare
National Grid Reference:
TL7694745010

Details

1. 2006

CLARE Clare Priory

TL 74 NE 18/127 TL 74 SE 116/127 19.12.61.

I

2. Clare Priory was founded in 1248 by Richard de Clare Earl of Clare, Gloucester and hereford, as a Friary for the Friars Eremites of St Augustine and a cell to the Abbey of Bec in Normandy. It was reconstituted by Edward II in 1326 as a cell to St Peter's Westminster, converted into a college in 1490 by Edmund, Earl of March and made into a dwelling house by Sir Thomas Barnardiston in 1604 (This is recorded by initials and the date carved on a panel of the upstairs panelled room). The house is timber-framed and plastered with a C14 stone font to the west, with heavy buttresses and a C14 doorway, pointed arched with an old door and an ogee-headed wicket inset. 2 storeys and attics. The windows are multi-light, some mullioned and transomed, some mullioned, with arched lights, with leaded lights. The east front has gabled wings at the north and south ends, with 3 smaller gabled wings between them. The windows are mainly 3-light casements with segmental arched heads and leaded lights. Some mullioned and transomed windows, with leaded lights. Roof tiled, with 4 large gabled dormers with 5-light casement windows with leaded lights on the west front, and a number of octagonal shafted chimney stacks. At the back entrance is an early traceried window with an old door and inside a groin vaulted ceiling (being part of the original cloisters). There is a fine C17 panelled room with an arcaded overmantle. In the C18 and C19 the priory was owned by the Baker family whose arms, in stained glass, is set in one of the mullioned and transomed windows. The hall has fine late C15 carved ceiling beams and there is part of a C14 staircase. At the rear, to the south-west of the priory there is a good C18 room built into the old priory walls. It has stone dressed mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights. The roof is ogee shaped, tiled, with a ball finial.

Listing NGR: TL7694745010

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282925
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14817/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neville Broadbent. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].