CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1376713
Date first listed:
19-Dec-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376713.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:09:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Cowlinge
National Grid Reference:
TL 71846 54931

Details

1. COWLINGE Church of St Margaret 2006 TL 75 SW 6/144 19.12.61.

A

2. Dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch. A mainly C14 flint and stone rubble church with stone dressings. The clerestorey is C15 and the red brick square west tower is C18. In the C17 the west tower collapsed and it was replaced by the present red brick tower in 1733 which was built by Francis Dickens of Branches Park (As stated on a stone tablet in the gallery). The aisles are lead roofed and the nave and chancel roofs are tiled. The nave has kingpost roof trusses. The north and south doors are original. The greater part of the mediaeval rood screen (circa 1400) remains. This, and the screen in Lavenham Church are the only surviving examples in Suffolk of screens with original gates and hinges. On each side of the chancel arch there is a squint and above the arch there are traces of a large mediaeval wall painting depicting the last judgement. The parclose screen in the south aisle is of later date than the chancel screen. The font is C14, octagonal, with quatrefoil ornamentation in the panels. In the west gallery there is a hatchment of King George II and on the south wall one of Henry Usborne who lived at Branches Park and was High Sherriff of the County in 1823. There is a marble monument to Frances Dickens (died 1840) with seated figures of himself and his wife. At the west end of the north aisle there are plain wooden benches which were provided for inmates of a local house of correction. Above the benches there is an interesting tablet which states :- "MEM DM THAT AT A VISIT ACTION HOULD EN AT COWLINGE THE 2 DAY OF JULY IN THE YEAR OF O LORD 1618 IT WAS NACTED WITH THE CONSENTE OF THE CHURCH WARDENS THAT IT SHOULD BE LAWFUL FOR THOMAS WOLRYCH ESQUIER TO ERECT AND BUILD UP CERTEINE SEATES BEHIND THE NORTH CHURCH DORE FOR THE USE OF THE KEEPER OF THE CORRECTION HOUSE IN COWLINGE AFORESAIDE AND THE PRISONERS THEREIN AND SO TO CONTINEWE".

Listing NGR: TL7184654931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
283052
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12326/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].