CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1376863
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376863.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:05:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Barrow
National Grid Reference:
TL 76027 64619

Details

TL 76 SE BARROW CHURCH ROAD

5/9 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

14.7.55 I

Church; mediaeval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble walls with black mortar pointing, limestone dressings; plaintiled roof. Nave has Norman walling on north side with restored window having widely-splayed reveals; simple C13 north doorway; 3 C15 3-light north windows with tracery; south arcade with C14 chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals (bases buried in floor). Mid C13 chancel with clasping buttresses, parapet gable with carved kneelers, restored quatrefoil vent in east wall apex; east window of 3 tall chamfered stepped lancets under 1 arch; north and south 2-light windows with restored tracery. Moulded C14 chancel north door into vestry; arcaded C13 sedilia and piscina, heavily restored; aumbry on both sides of east window; broad C14 chancel arch with pilasters. Large unbuttressed early C13 tower, raised and altered C14, with crenellated parapets and lion-head gargoyles; 2-light belfry openings; blocked C13 openings at mid-height; inserted internal C14 stair turret has loop windows and arched doorway with original door. Broad, moulded tower arch C13 on square piers with chamfered reveals and abaci; arch blocked C14 and moulded doorway inserted; wide west tower doorway blocked and smaller C19 door and window inserted. C14 south aisle with C13 core; west wall with lancet raised C14 and crenellated parapets added; 2-light restored windows (3-light east aisle window with net tracery; a trefoil headed opening beneath with inset quatrefoil). Mid C14 porch with pilasters having base and capital mouldings, small quatrefoil openings on sidewalls, sundial over entrance. Aisle contains chapel to St. Michael with C14 sedilia, canopied sepulchre, and simple piscina. Alterations 1848-1852 include: vestry in early gothic style, scissor-braced coupled rafter roofs in nave and chancel, purlin roof to aisle; replacement of most doors in oak (north door leaf has strap hinges in C13 style); limestone reredos and arcaded altar-rails in C13 style; stained glass in east window. Octagonal font, c.1400, with sunk and traeeried panels and escutcheons. Choirstalls mid C19, re-using parts of C16 benches having poppy-head ends some with animal and human figures. 2 C15 benches in south aisle have square traceried ends. Nave pews plain, c.1850. C18 quarry tiled floors. Oak eagle lectern. 2 painted figures in reveals of Norman nave window. Easter sepulchre tomb of Sir Clement Heigham (died 1570) in Purbeck marble with brass inscription. 3 C17 mural monuments on south chancel wall, one to Sir John Heigham (died 1626), by John Stone, erected 1650. A group of limestone tombstones beside chancel south wall, C18, with carved foliage at heads.

Listing NGR: TL7602764619

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
283716
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/01067/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey Harriman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].