CHURCH OF THE HOLY INNOCENTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1376986
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY INNOCENTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY INNOCENTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376986.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:36:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY INNOCENTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Barton
National Grid Reference:
TL 88991 66042

Details

TL 86 NE GREAT BARTON CHURCH ROAD

1/5 Church of the Holy - Innocents 14.7.55 - I

Parish church. C13 and later; restored in 1850's. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower, in random flint with freestone dressings: the aisles and clerestory are faced in a mixture of black knapped flint and small freestone blocks, evenly set: stone facings to buttresses and crenellated stone parapets to aisles and nave; slate roofs. C15 porch with red brick and trefoil arcading to the base; crenellated gabled parapet; diagonal buttresses; rendered and lined south face with a large sundial over the entry; a gargoyle head on east and west, and 2-light windows. 8 perpendicular windows to clerestorey. The C14 south aisle has a 2-light east window with flowing tracery, and Perpendicular windows on the south; C15 north aisle with 4 gargoyle water-heads. C13 chancel: a simple priest's door on the south side with pointed arch and nook-shafts, and beside it an arched tomb recess with a heavy gable on corbels; north and south windows with plate tracery and a lozenge, quatrefoiled far back, and a 3-light east window with lancets and circles at head, also quatrefoiled far back; on the south-west a blocked low-side window. At the east end, unusual polygonal buttresses with stone pinnacles. Fine west tower in 4 stages divided by string-courses; a chequerwork base of stone and black knapped flint; diagonal buttresses on west. The walling has some small red bricks and stone blocks mixed with flint rubble. Stair turret with a conical roof projecting on the south side. A simple west doorway with continuous moulding; a 3-light window with panel tracery to each face of the top stage. An impressive parapet with flushwork decoration (cf. similarities with St. Mary's, Rougham): stepped and panelled crenellation; quatrefoil frieze. The interior of the nave has a simple, shallow-pitched single hammerbeam roof in 8 bays, corresponding to the bays of the clerestorey: folded-leaf decoration along the purlins and ridge-piece; the hammer posts supported by headless recumbent figures. Arcades in 4 bays: early C14 on south, with one octagonal and 2 circular piers; perpendicular on north. Fragments of medieval glass in the heads of all 3 windows in the north aisle. Benches with traceried ends and poppyheads, some C15, but many reproductions of 1856. Simple octagonal C13 font, supported on a central column surrounded by 4 outer columns; a tall C19 carved and traceried wooden cover in East Anglian style. Chancel with a simple plastered keel roof; remains of pinnacled C13 piscina and sedilia. The other fittings are C19. Various wall memorials to members of the Bunbury family.

Listing NGR: TL8899166042

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
284426
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09787/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Lisa Hornish. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].