CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1377128
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, IPSWICH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377128.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 17:56:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, IPSWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
East Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Newbourne
National Grid Reference:
TM 27297 43061

Details

TM 24 SE NEWBOURN IPSWICH ROAD 3/21 Church of St. Mary 16.3.66

I

Parish Church. Nave and chancel C12, restored late C13 - early C14 when south aisle and south tower added; further restored C19. The greater part of the nave, chancel and tower are in rubble mixture of flint and septaria; the south aisle was encased in early C16 brick and the west wall of nave rebuilt in red brick c.1810. Plain tile roofs with decorative ridge tiles to nave and chancel; lead roof to south aisle. Some vestiges of Norman stone-work in north wall of nave. The 3 stage south tower has diagonal stepped buttresses with stone quoins and C15 castellated parapet embellished with C19 crocketted pinnacles and angels. The base of the tower serves as the south entrance porch; the second stage has loop openings with stone jambs on 3 sides and the bell chamber two-light openings with pointed arches and Y tracery on all four sides. The nave, chancel and aisle have a mixture of windows, mainly early C14 with one C15 perpendicular window to south aisle. The south doorway has pointed arch with a carved graffito of a mediaeval ship low on the jamb. In the north wall of the chancel there is a tudor brick priest's doorway with grille in door supposedly used by lepers. The interior of the nave has a single hammer beam roof with carved spandrel supports. In the north wall of nave is the C15 rood loft stair with upper and lower entrances. The framework of the base of the screen with carved panels remains. The chancel has an arched braced collar roof with some reused mediaeval timber. The roof to the south aisle is original of simple rafter construction. Restored east window in chancel retains C12 circular shafts. There is an early C13 lancet window in south wall of chancel which has been divided to form a low 'side window' for an external bell. Between south aisle and chancel there is a simple perpendicular arch. In the south wall of the sanctuary is a trefoil headed piscina and a double sedilia. Piscina and sedilium also in south wall of aisle. The original octagonal stone font was restored and recut in the early C19; the panels of the bowl symbolise the Evangelists alternating with angels; the bowl is supported by angels from the stem on which there are lions alternating with wild men. The altar is a Stuart Holy Table. Some C15 returned stalls in chancel with poppy heads and traceried panelling to ends. The tower contains one bell originally cast by Miles Graye in 1621 and recast in 1885 by C. Carr.



Listing NGR: TM2729743061

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285048
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/02315/02
Rights: Copyright IoE R H MacMillan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].