CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1377335
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377335.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 17:59:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
East Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Levington
National Grid Reference:
TM 23439 39022

Details

TM 23 NW LEVINGTON CHURCH LANE WITH STRATTON HALL of St. Peter 5/14 Church of St. Peter

16.3.66 - I

Church, mediaeval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch now converted to vestry. Flint rubble, mainly plastered, with freestone dressings. Work of c.1500 and later in red brick. Plaintiled roofs, with parapet gable at the east wall. Simple pointed south nave doorway and similar blocked north doorway are of c.1300; the walling of nave and chancel are probably of this date or earlier. A small south chancel window has tracery and a cusped inner arch, perhaps late C14. A square-headed low-side window, and the north window opposite, are of C14 or C15. Timber-framed south porch on high C19 plinth of red brick. Arched doorway and widely-spaced mullions, now infilled. The late-mediaeval plank door was probably repositioned from the inner doorway. Tower of red brick with limestone dressings; money was bequeathed c.1480 for its construction. West doorway has good head corbels beneath the dripmould and a shield above; 2-light brick west window. The belfry stage was rebuilt 1636 for Robert Hitcham (datestone on south tower wall), with hood-moulded windows. Embattled parapets rebuilt C20. Large windows of moulded brick were inserted late C15 or early C16, that in the east wall of 3 lights and traceried; a simpler window in the south wall and another, restored C20 in the nave. The walls of nave and chancel were raised c.1500 and the roofs rebuilt. In the chancel an embattled cornice is visible; in the nave is a 4-bay arch- braced collar-beam roof; the cornice and other components rib-moulded. Rood beam with a variant of trailing leaf carving. Several small clerestory windows. C15 octagonal limestone font with sunk facets carved with alternating shields and roses, and supporting angel beneath; oak pyramid cover, of C18 or early C19. Good early C17 octagonal pulpit, the panels arcaded and carved with strapwork. Mid C17 altar rails with turned balusters. The mid C17 panelling which lines the chancel walls was taken from Brightwell Hall (demolished c.1753); much altered and restored. In the chancel floor is a ledger slab dated 1712.

Listing NGR: TM2343939022

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
286180
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/15350/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].