CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1377636
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377636.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:19:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Chelsham and Farleigh
National Grid Reference:
TQ 38862 59118

Details

TQ 35NE CHELSHAM & FARLEIGH C.P. CHURCH LANE, CHELSHAM 3/50 Church of St. Leonard 11.6.58

II

Church. C13 with C15 tower; heavily restored in 1870-1 by Spencer with vestry addition 1904 by H.A. Daniell. Knapped flint with stone dressings, red in herringbone pattern with brick banding courses on south side. Banded plain tiled roof with ridge cresting, wooden shingles to spire. Square tower and spire to west, aisleless nave with gabled porch to south, chancel to east with vestry extension to north. Lancet windows to chancel and tower, Geometrical window to north chancel wall, Perpendicular window to south under hood mould with diamond shaped stops, remaining windows C19. Interior: simple, whitewashed with stone dressings. C15 tower arch, C19 chancel arch. C13 column shaft with upright lancet leaf capital to north east corner of chancel, further column with stiff leaf capital to south east. Fittings: Triangular piscina with stiff leaf decoration to east chancel wall. Former parclose screen c1530 cut down and re-used as chancel screen with thick tracery and turned oolumns. C13 stone font: square bowl on central stem with four corner shafts.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p,146.

Listing NGR: TQ3886259118

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287705
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 146

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02372/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Desmond Pye. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].