CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1377699
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, SQUIRES BRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1377699.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2019 at 10:06:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, SQUIRES BRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Spelthorne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 07068 68639

Details

TQ 06NE SUNBURY-ON-THAMES, FORMER UD SQUIRES BRIDGE ROAD Littleton 3/57 Church of St Mary 11/9/51 Magdalene

I

Church. C12 origins, with chancel and south aisle C13, north aisle C14, clerestory C16 and tower raised in C18. North chancel chapels (now vestries) of 1705 and c1730, all restored in C19 and C20. Ragstone, chalk and conglomerate on nave with brown brick to lower stages of tower, russet brick to top, orange/red brick to clerestory and chequerboard brick work with vitrified headers on north chancel chapel. Plain tiled roofs. Tower to west, nave with clerestory and pentice aisles, porch to south, chancel to east and vestries to north. Four stage tower with plat bands across each stage and on plinth below; battlemented parapet above. Quatre- foil windows to upper stage of each face in rebuilt section. One 3-light diamond brick mullion lancet window on west side of second stage, two-light windows on north and south. Four-centre,arched-head and chamfered surround to lancet windows on north and south sides of first stage, three-light window to west. West doors in 4-centred arched surround with impost blocks. Buttressed pentice - roofed aisle to north with C19 fenestration; restored lancet on west face, one ogee section 2- light and one blocked window either side of buttress. Parallel hip-roofed and gable end ranges to north east, originally burial chapels for the Wood family. South side of nave with deep coved plaster eaves. Buttresses to south side of chancel to east. One 2-light trefoil-head lancet to east, chamfered 2-step surround to pointed-arch lancet window east of pentice pier. Two lancets, in place of older windows, the surrounds of which are still visible, to west of pier. C19 window to east end, earlier squint window in old surround, in angle with chancel. Double gable to east end with C19 3-light lancet window under brick relieving arch with hood moulding and human head corbels. C18 gable to right with plat band and square sundial. Porch to south gabled with 4-centre arched-head window to each return wall. C16 roof with moulded spine-beam and cross beams on braces; chamfered joists. Studded double doors in chamfered surrounds. Interior:- Two original lancets to north of chancel with deep splays, crown post roof above. Old work in chancel arch with two pointed orders and chamfered arches. Early C14 octagonal centre column to north nave arcade with moulded strings on inner order only. Large circular column to south arcade with two pointed and chamfered orders with semi-octagonal responds. Pointed C14 doorway in north wall now blocked by window. Fittings:- late medieval locker in south wall of south aisle. C15 choir stalls with cusped ogee arches and panelling in the spandrels said to have come from Winchester. Complete set of late medieval pews, restored, and very restored rood screen of circa 1500. Fine Flemish altar rails with C- scroll carving on the newels and very deep rich carving depicting the 10 command- ments and eagles in chancel; circa 1700. Early C18 wooden pulpit with arcaded tracery and small narrow high window into the south-east angle between nave and chancel to provide light. Octagonal stone font with elaborate quatrefoil pierced and crocketed font cover of ogee domed section above,on square pier. Hatchment on North tower wall. On north and south wall at the west end of the nave an Italian Trecento painting of six panels with six saints. Three bells by W. Eldridge 1666.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.351-2. V.C.H. Middlesex (1911) Vol. II p.405.

Listing NGR: TQ0706868639

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
288030
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1911), 405
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 351-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00689/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs M.A.C. Ball. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].