This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Prince's Stand

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Prince's Stand

List entry Number: 1378253

Location

Epsom Downs Racecourse, Epsom Downs, Epsom, KT18 5LQ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Epsom and Ewell

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290686

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 31/05/2018

TQ 2158 39/218

EPSOM EPSOM DOWNS Epsom Downs Racecourse Prince's Stand

(Formerly listed as Princes' Stand, EPSOM DOWNS)

II The Prince's Stand was erected in 1879 near Tattenham Corner, on the Epsom Racecourse. It faces south on to the racecourse and is formed of two storeys, faced with stucco. It is surmounted by a flat roof cum viewing platform, all hidden behind a parapet. The principal elevations of the structure have vermiculated quoins at the corners, and there is a verandah to first-floor, supported by iron columns and brackets. The verandah has a tent-like roof which is also supported on iron columns. There are two French casements on ground floor, which are flanked by blind panels. On the first floor there are two sashes with glazing bars, and a further two French casements.

The racecourse was the scene of one of the best known protests by the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), the organisation formed by Emmeline Pankhurst in 1903, which used militant methods in its campaign to win votes for women. The protest was carried out by Emily Wilding Davison, a 41 year-old graduate. Davison joined the Union in 1906 and went to prison seven times for militant activities. On 4 June 1913 she ran across the track during the Derby and was struck by the King’s horse, Anmer. Davison died four days later and received spectacular funerals in London and Morpeth, which were organised by the WSPU. While historians disagree over whether or not Davison intended to die, recent analysis of film footage taken on the day suggests that she was trying to fix a scarf to the horse’s bridle. The scarf, striped with the WSPU’s colours of purple, white and green, was recovered from the track and is now in the Parliamentary archives.

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.

Listing NGR: TQ2160458572

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 21604 58572

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378253 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:35:52.

End of official listing