NUMBER 4 STORE (MO 70)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1378551
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 4 STORE (MO 70), MORICE YARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378551.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 14:18:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 4 STORE (MO 70), MORICE YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 44816 54792

Details

SX 4454 NE PLYMOUTH MORICE YARD, Devonport Dockyard 740-1/95/186 No.4 Store (MO 70)

GV II*

Ordnance store. 1722, dated 1723 on hopper, laid out by Colonel C Lilley, Andrew jelf, Clerk of Works, for the Board of Ordnance. Dunstone rubble with granite dressings and rendered W end, with hipped slate roof with flat leaded top. Rectangular open plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 11-window range with 3-window ends. Parapeted range with end and central window bays set forward with sunken panels and raised sections to the parapet, rubble flat arches to wider doorways in the projected bays and horned 6/6-pane sashes. Good lead hoppers to the centre and flanking projected bays, one inscribed GR 1723. Range of 9 pedimented dormers with 6/6-pane sashes, with one in the ends. Roofs have heavy leaded rolls around the central flat section. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as having a C18 central spine wall, with timber board panelling and partitions; some original wooden rails. HISTORY: one of the original Ordnance stores, for gun carriages and equipment, and one of the earliest in a Royal Dockyard, a matching pair with the No.8 Store (qv) opposite. Originally built against the quay which curved round the outer sides, a fine and remarkably complete example of an early C18 warehouse within the best surviving naval ordnance yard in the country. (Sources: The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989: 652; Coad j: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 248-254; Hewlings R: English Architecture Public and Private: London: 1993: 211-212).



Listing NGR: SX4481654792

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476501
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bold, , Chaney, , English Architecture Public and Private Essays for Kerry Downes, (1993), 211-212
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 248-254
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Devon North, (1952), 652

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingThe[email protected].