NUMBER 1 SMITHERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1378614
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 1 SMITHERY, EAST ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378614.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 15:26:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 1 SMITHERY, EAST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Medway (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 76026 69320

Details

TQ 76 NE CHATHAM EAST ROAD (West side) Chatham Dockyard 762-1/8/55 No.1 Smithery

GV II*

Smithery, now disused. 1805-08 by Edward Holl, architect to the Navy Board; foundry, engine and boiler houses added 1840s and 60s, foundry 1850s-60s; courtyard roofed for steam hammer shop 1865; roof of original ranges replaced and raised with end gables 1888; 1890 main entrance. Disused 1975. Brick with corrugated asbestos and slate hipped roof, and metal roof trusses. PLAN: original courtyard plan of 3 single-depth ranges, partly closed by Master's and foreman's offices either side of entrance; 1841/2 NE engine and boiler house, 1865/9 boiler houses beyond, 1867 smithery extension linking with 1855/61 iron foundry to the N, and 1869 smithery extension between foundry and boiler houses. EXTERIOR: W entrance elevation has two 5-window gables, with tall round arched ground-floor windows and another in the centre under the end of the clerestory ventilators with flanking sunken panels, with to the inner sides lower 2-storey, 2-window lodges with slate hipped roofs and 6/6-pane sashes, connected by large double courtyard gates. E elevation has three similar 5-bay gables with a dentil cornice and dentil coping, with round-arched metal-framed windows with tilting casements, stepped recesses and a central louvred oculus. Similar windows to 13- window S side. N extension: on the W side a 5:3-window 1860s range consists of an inner gable with oculus and altered ground floor, to the left some round arched ground-floor windows, segmental-arched above. The N end partly demolished. On the E side a pair of coped gables to the former engine and boiler houses have round-arched openings with red brick arches and lunettes in the gables, with to the N a 3-arch single-storey range with an arcade of round arches, partly infilled. A battered square chimney stands against the original section. INTERIOR: iron roof trusses and some remaining early C20 pivoting hoists attached to the outer walls, plant includes C20 cupola furnaces. Lodges not inspected. Some sections of original walls dismantled to allow extension of works. HISTORY: working from the Inspector General Samuel Bentham's office, Holl's original design was for 3 single-storey ranges with lunettes over the lower windows, and clerestory ridges. It was fitted out under the advice of Sir John Rennie, with 40 separate forges with bellows arranged around the walls, each with a hoist. A beam engine was installed in 1841 for hammers and fans to replace the bellows, and a second added in 1842. The 1861 extensions were connected with the construction at Chatham of HMS Achilles, the first iron-clad built in a naval yard, see No.2 Dock (qv). Although in poor condition, it preserves the original layout as well as later additions, and contains a considerable amount of equipment from the later period of shipbuilding. The smithery was an important part of the working dockyard, increasingly so as metal components replaced wooden ones from the early C19, and in the mid C19 move to all-metal ships. One of three early C19 dockyard smitheries, with that of Bentham at Devonport, and Rennie's 1815 iron-framed smithery at Woolwich (now re-erected at Ironbridge Museum), and a central part of a complete Georgian dockyard. (Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850: London: 1982: 174 ; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 154-156 ; van der Merwe P: The No.1 Smithery, HM Naval Base, Chatham: 1982).



Listing NGR: TQ7601869309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476567
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J , Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850, (1982), 174
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989)
van de Merwe, P, The Number 1 Smithery HM Naval Base Chatham, (1982)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11801/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M.K Lofthouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].