FENTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1378648
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1950
Statutory Address:
FENTON HOUSE, 3, HAMPSTEAD GROVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FENTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1378648 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 22:25:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
FENTON HOUSE, 3, HAMPSTEAD GROVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26285 86014

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2686SW HAMPSTEAD GROVE 798-1/16/733 (West side) 11/08/50 No.3 Fenton House

GV I

Detached house. c1693 (scratched on chimney-stack); remodelled, mostly internally, early C19 probably by PI Fenton, a Riga merchant who bought the house in 1793 and after whom it is named; substantial renovations, including the west extension probably by Lady Binning c1936. Rectangular plan with shallow wings on east facade. Brown brick with red brick dressings and plain brick band. Hipped tiled roof with tall brick chimney-stacks at angles, dormers (those to wings, weatherboarded) and reconstructed wooden modillion eaves cornice which continues around the house. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and basement. Gauged red brick flat arches to flush framed sashes with exposed boxing. Segmental arched basement windows with wrought-iron stay bars and casements. Lead rainwater pipes. East (entrance) front: fenestration 2:3:2, the central window being blind. Central recessed bay with early C19 distyle-in-antis Roman Doric portico; early C19 doorway with fluted surround, patterned fanlight and part-glazed door. Blind window with circular panel, formerly holding a clock, now inscribed "Fenton House 1963". Wings have balustraded parapets above cornice. South (garden) front: fenestration 1/2:3:1 1/2. Slightly projecting central bay with modillion pediment. Central doorway with fluted Doric pilasters carrying entablature and pediment; part glazed door. West front: C20 projecting 2 storey, 1 window brick bay. Parts of the upper floor cemented over. North front: 5 windows with central tall staircase window. C20 basement doorway. INTERIOR: good internal features including original staircases with twisted balusters, main rooms having original panelling, corner cupboards and good marble fireplaces. HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly known as Ostend House (early C18) and Clock House (later C18), Fenton House was left to the National Trust by Lady Binning in 1952 together with a collection of porcelain. It now also houses a collection of C17 & C18 harpsichords and spinets. (RCHME: London, Vol. II, West London: London: -1925: 40).





Listing NGR: TQ2632185956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477982
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Margaret Westminster Part 3 Neighbourhood of Whitehall Volume 2:Volume 14 , (1931), 40

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/15737/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].