CHURCH OF ST JAMES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379386.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:40:06.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 26640 09169
TA2609SE CHURCH LANE 699-1/21/23 (North side) 06/06/51 Church of St James (Formerly Listed as: DEANSGATE (East side) Parish Church of St James)
Parish church. C13 nave and transepts; C14 nave arcade piers, crossing dated 1365. C18 subdivision and rebuilding of nave aisles. Restorations of 1858-9 by Charles Ainslie included partial rebuilding of transepts, inserting ringing gallery in tower, reflooring, reseating. Restorations of 1874-85 by RJ Withers included new roof and upper part of west end of nave, new chancel and south porch. North Lady Chapel of 1904-6 by GF Bodley, on site of chancel north aisle. Aisle windows replaced 1909-10 by TG Jackson. South chapel of the Resurrection (partly replacing south chancel aisle) and attached vestry by Sir Charles Nicholson, 1920. Repairs to windows and north transept following wartime bomb damage, by Nicholson 1950-2. Work in 1970s-80s included repairs to tower and south transept doorway, reseating, insertion of dais in crossing. MATERIALS: limestone ashlar, with some coursed rubble and squared stone to the transepts and nave west side. Slate roofs. PLAN: Cruciform. 3-bay chancel with 2-bay north and south chapels, south vestry; 6-bay aisled nave with single-bay transepts, south porch and west door. EXTERIOR: nave, chancel and transepts have angle turrets with square bases and octagonal upper sections with string courses and corbel tables to short stone spires. Chancel: deep moulded plinth with 1882 datestone; east side with sill string course, triple lancets with nookshafts and filleted arches; above, small stepped lancets in double-chamfered reveals with sill string course, pierced quatrefoil, dogtooth-moulded sting course and gable coping. North and south sides have clerestory with pilaster buttresses, sill string course and round-arched and pointed single-light windows in double-chamfered reveals; corbel-table with some head corbels. Gabled north chapel: chamfered plinth, buttresses; 3 stepped 2-light east windows with Curvilinear tracery and hoodmoulds; 2 pointed traceried 2-light north windows. South chapel: east side incorporates C13 moulded plinth and
lower wall with pilaster buttresses; remainder is C20, with pointed 4-light east window with Perpendicular tracery; buttresses and chamfered plinth with datestone to south side, with sill string course, pair of square-headed 4-light traceried windows, coped embattled parapet with crenellated finials. Vestry has plinth, buttresses, pointed arched door beneath ogee hood, square-headed windows with cinquefoiled lights, coped parapet. North transept: C19-C20 rebuilt north side with pointed double-chamfered door flanked by a pointed chamfered blind arch to left and a low chamfered segmental-arched recess to right. Above, a pair of pointed 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and continuous hoodmould; small stepped lancets, coped gable. South transept: moulded plinth. South side has projecting central section with pointed C13 doorway of 4 orders with restored shafts on original bases, partly-restored arch with keeled mouldings and dogtooth-moulded hood. Above, string course and a wide central pointed blind arch flanked by single lancets, all with shafted reveals and roll-moulded arches. Above this, a small triple window with diagonally-set mullions, moulded capitals, keeled arches and hoodmoulds with dogtooth moulding. Dogtooth-moulded coping to gable. Both transepts have single west lancets with hoodmoulds and corbel tables to east and west sides with some head-corbels. Central tower has 2 main stages, pointed stair turret to south-east angle. Lower stage has square-headed 2-light cusped windows. Main belfry stage has arcaded sides with pairs of tall pointed arched blind panels containing pairs of pointed 2-light transomed windows with Perpendicular tracery, sill string courses and continuous hoodmoulds. Dogtooth-moulded string course, ornate parapet with blind arcade of pointed 2-light cusped panels with 9 finials to each side and crocketed angle pinnacles. Nave aisles: C19 buttresses between bays with offsets and gabled caps; C19 pointed 3-light windows with Curvilinear tracery. South porch has restored C13 pointed outer doorway of 3 orders with triple shafts, moulded capitals and moulded arch with fillet, keeled and dogtooth mouldings; coped gable and parapet. C18 round-headed inner door with keyed arch and radial fanlight. Nave: clerestory with 7 irregularly-spaced lancets, corbel table and coped parapet. West front: angle turret to left largely restored; central section of roughly-squared stone, with restored round-arched doorway of 4 orders with keeled and filleted shafts, and a roll-moulded and keeled arch beneath a brick relieving arch. C19 ashlar section above has 3 lancets with narrower blind
lancets between, all with shafted reveals and keeled arches; vesica window above in keeled reveal; dogtooth-moulded string course and coped gable. INTERIOR: chancel north and south walls have pointed moulded arches on keeled and round shafts; triforium wall-passage screen with stepped trefoiled triple arches on triple shafts. Sedilia with nook-shafts and keeled arches. Triple wall-shafts, those to east flanking the windows. Lady Chapel: windows with moulded reveals and hoodmoulds. South chapel: arcaded passage with 4-centred arches on tall shafted piers; panelled plaster ceiling. Crossing has tall pointed moulded arches on octagonal piers with trefoiled ogee panels; 1365 inscription on north-east pier. North transept: has 2-bay east arcade with pointed roll-moulded arches on clustered pier and responds with keeled shafts, inserted moulded and shafted arches to 1905 chapel; west triforium arcade with keeled arches on alternate round and triple keeled shafts. South transept: has single pointed moulded east arch on clustered responds similar to north transept arcade, with an inserted triple-chamfered arch to chapel dated 1921; west triforium similar to north transept but with alternating round and twin shafts with dogtooth moulding. Nave: arcades of pointed roll-moulded arches with hoodmoulds and head stops on clustered piers with filleted shafts and octagonal abaci. Immediately above is a wall-passage screen to the clerestory with an irregular sequence of tall and low keeled arches on slender triple shafts with keeled and fillet mouldings. Roofs C19 and later, arch-braced to transepts and nave, panelled to chancel. FITTINGS: include C14 octagonal font with panelled sides on a C13 shafted base; C18 font cover. Ornate 1910 pulpit. Fragments of C14-C15 wooden screen in south porch with nodding crocketed arches and Perpendicular tracery. Chancel screen and altar rails of 1926 by Sir Charles Nicholson; reredos of 1972. C17 wood panelling in baptistry brought from Stapleton House, Doncaster. STAINED GLASS: in transepts of 1943 by H Easton, and in Lady Chapel by L Evetts. MONUMENTS: include C15 knight effigy of Sir Thomas Haslerton in Lady Chapel, brought from St Leonards Nunnery, Grimsby after the Dissolution. Wall tablet in south transept to Rebecca Thompson of 1729 with cartouche, cherubs and winged skull; tablets in north transept to C and A Hildyard of 1728, to George Rye of 1808 by Stimson; tablets in south aisle to Elizabeth Bell of 1829 by Edward Baily of London, to T Williamson of 1826; wooden plaque to Mary Riggall of 1830.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, and Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 337-8; Grimsby Planning Department: Central Conservation Area: Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: MAP; The parish church of St James, a walk-round guide: Grimsby: 1987-; Grimsby Borough Councilþ: Top Town Trail: Grimsby: 1989-: NO.2).
Listing NGR: TA2663409169
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 337-338
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing