EMMANUEL CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1379387
Date first listed:
11-Jan-1999
Statutory Address:
EMMANUEL CHURCH, LYNCROFT GARDENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of EMMANUEL CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379387.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:39:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
EMMANUEL CHURCH, LYNCROFT GARDENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 25413 85301

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2585SW LYNCROFT GARDENS 798-1/35/1837 (South East side) Emmanuel Church

II

Anglican church. 1897-8, chancel and first 4 bays; 1903 west end completed. Only ground and first floor of tower built. R Whitfield and JA Thomas, architects. Red brick with stone dressing. Tiled roof. PLAN: Basilican plan with north and south lean-to aisles of 5 bays, apsidal east end. 'Salisbury' chapel at south-east corner. Entrance through north porch fronting Lyncroft Gardens (originally base of tower). Clerestory chancel lower than nave. EXTERIOR: 5 bays divided by brick buttresses. Paired Early English lights in each bay in clerestory, with brick moulding and brick dentilled cornice above. Aisles have 3-light lancets with brick moulding and brick dentilled cornice above. Narthex at west end with small apsidal chapel with separate roof. 3-light window with brick mouldings on western apse with brick dentilled cornice above. 5-light lancet window at east end; group of three flanked by single lancets at west end. INTERIOR: white brick with bands of red brick. Tall 5-bay nave with aisles. Arcades of pointed arches on clustered columns. Arcade at west end divides nave from narthex. Barrel-vaulted open timber roof. Paired lancet windows in clerestory; aisle windows 3-light lancets, plain glazed. Chancel with reredos depicting Last Supper designed 1908 by JA Thomas. Carved oak pulpit 1901 by Thomas. Organ built 1910 by JW Walker and Sons. Mosaic floor. 3 windows at east end depicting scenes from the Life of Jesus 1903. Brass eagle lectern 1898. West end has baptistry in apse: Gothic Revival stone font resting on marble colonnettes (1898). Oak cover 1902. Stained glass of 1904 depicts subjects connected with the Baptismal service. Includes window given by the architect of the church JA Thomas in memory of his partner, R Whitfield d.1901. Salisbury Chapel furnished in 1952 by painter Frank Salisbury.





Listing NGR: TQ2541385301

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
478766
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Nov 2005
Reference: IOE01/14853/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Bower. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].