This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1379405



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: North East Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478785

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TA2808SE CHURCH LANE, Old Clee 699-1/33/107 (East side) 06/06/51 Church of the Holy Trinity and Holy Mary the Virgin


Parish church. C11 Saxo-Norman west tower with C14-C15 parapet; nave arcades of c1170-90; crossing, transepts and chancel dated 1192. Reseated 1858, externally restored 1878 by Joseph Fowler of Louth, with new north and south transept walls, chancel, porch and crossing tower; further restorations 1935-7 by Robert Godfrey, involving wall repairs and underpinning. MAERIALS: early sections of west tower and aisles in random cobble, rubble and squared limestone, with ashlar parapets; chancel of limestone and ironstone ashlar; porch, transepts and crossing tower in rock-faced ashlar. Lead roof to chancel, remainder with slate roofs. PLAN: Cruciform: 2-bay chancel with north vestry, 3-bay aisled nave with single-bay transepts, south porch and west tower. EXTERIOR: Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays, coped gables with finials throughout, except for tower. Chancel: north and south sides have single lancets to east bay, twin needle lancets to west bay; triple east lancet with hoodmould. Vestry has pointed arched door and 2-light window. Transepts: sill string course; north and south sides have pairs of lancets beneath linked hoodmould, and vesica window above with continuous hoodmould; north transept has twin needle lancets to east and single lancet to west side; south transept has single needle lancet to east side. Low 2-stage crossing tower has upper stage with shafts to angles, pair of lancets to each side, string course, gargoyles to angles, plain parapet. North aisle: restored 2-light square-headed windows with reticulated tracery, small restored pointed door with hoodmould, round-headed west window. South aisle: 2 restored 3-light south windows and single 2-light west window, all triangular-headed with trefoiled lights and shafted mullions. South porch: pointed wave-moulded outer arch with continuous hoodmould, vesica window above with niche and carved base; single pointed windows to east and west sides. Pointed wave-moulded inner arch with early door. 2-stage west tower: plain plinth, lower stage cobble-built with ironstone quoins to lower part (with late C20 pointing):

ironstone and bands of roughly-coursed squared limestone above. Round-headed west door with massive quoins and voussoirs, chamfered imposts and arch of 2 orders, the inner order slightly recessed and the outer one with a plain hoodmould. Above, single keyhole windows to each side (that to south altered by late C20 cement rendering), with an irregular series of corbels to south side and an eaves dripmould to north side. String course. Stepped-in upper stage has twin round-arched belfry openings with mid-wall shafts with cushion capitals, long-and-short quoins, chamfered impost blocks and monolithic heads. String course with gargoyles, embattled parapet with concave-pointed merlons and 8 crocketed pinnacles. INTERIOR: pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered and roll-moulded orders on keeled triple-shafted responds; reset C13 double piscina with nook-shafts, pointed moulded arches with nailhead moulding, hoodmould with paterae; aumbry with dogtooth moulding; south-east window with nook-shafts, moulded arch and cusped head; east window with marble shafts, moulded and dogtoothed arches, hoodmoulds with carved stops; pointed chamfered vestry door with hoodmould and carved stops. Crossing has pointed arches to transepts, nave and aisles with bold roll-mouldings on triple-shafted responds, some keeled, and those to the south with nailhead between the shafts; various abaci, those to the north with nailhead moulding. Reset medieval piscina to north transept. Nave north arcade in 2 stages: 2 east bays with round arches of 2 roll-moulded and plain orders on 2 pairs of quadruple-shafted responds (with central responds rather than a central pier), with square bases, chamfered plinths and scalloped capitals with some carved detail. The later, wider west bay has a round arch of 2 orders with zigzag and lozenge mouldings, on quadruple-shafted responds with scalloped capitals; one shaft has cable moulding, and one abacus has toothed moulding and a long-snouted beast-head label-stop. The later south arcade has 2 wide bays with round arches of 2 orders with a hoodmould, quadruple rolls to the inner order, and filleted, cable, billet and pellet mouldings to the outer order, on a round pier and roll-moulded responds with scalloped capitals and chamfered abaci. The south-east respond has a small inserted pointed-trefoiled niche. The central southern pier has 3 plaques with Latin inscriptions, one recording the dedication of the church by Bishop (later Saint) Hugh of Lincoln in 1192, others recording the reopening of the church after restorations in 1878 and 1937. C19 roofs: arch-braced to nave, scissor-braced to transepts, barrel-roof to chancel with moulded wallplate and

carved angels. Norman tub font with cable-moulded rim and cylindrical base with roll-moulded steps. FITTINGS: include C19 wooden pews, pulpit, altar rails etc. MONUMENTS: include: C15 inscribed marble tablet in south aisle to Kygger family of nearby Hoole; C19 Gothic-style marble wall-tablet in chancel to Rev. W Grant-Thorold and others. Cast-iron wall plaque to Cornelius Chapman, Humber Pilot, 1840, and stone tablet of 1819 by Stimson to A Mott, Post Captain, (who played a key role in the Nore Mutiny of 1797). 1874 restored painted board with 1793 bellringers' rules. Section of carved medieval cross-shaft in porch. A church notable for its Saxon and Norman work. (Pye LW: The Story of Old Clee Church and St Peter's Church, Cleethorpes: Gloucester: 1949-: 1-31; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, and Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 344-5; Grimsby Planning Department: Old Clee Conservation Area: Grimsby Borough Council: 1972-: NO.39).

Listing NGR: TA2899108454

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 344-345
Pye, L W, The Story of Old Clee Church and St Peters Church Cleethorpes, (1949), 1-31

National Grid Reference: TA 28998 08458


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379405 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 06:46:02.

End of official listing