CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1379845
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, GREAT COATES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379845.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:45:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, GREAT COATES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 24139 09020

Details

GRIMSBY

TA2409SW GREAT COATES ROAD, Little Coates 699-1/20/103 (East side) 06/06/51 Church of St Michael

I

Church. C14-C15 nave and south aisle; chancel dated 1691; north addition of 1913-14 by Walter Tapper, consisting of west tower, new nave and chancel in C13 style. Early section in ironstone rubble, cobbles and ironstone ashlar with limestone dressings; C20 section in limestone ashlar. Green slate roof, apart from south aisle with lead roof. PLAN: early section has 4-bay nave with 3-bay south aisle and single-bay chancel. C20 section has 4-bay nave with 4-bay chancel and west tower with west door. EXTERIOR: early section with chamfered plinth. Former chancel, now side chapel, has small carved decorated stone tablet to south wall dated 1691; pointed 4-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. South aisle: pointed chamfered south door, pair of square-headed 2-light south windows with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds. Early nave has on west side a small C20 2-light traceried window with hoodmould, and a mutilated trefoiled niche incorporating a reused fragment of an incised medieval grave slab. C20 section: tall angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets. Chancel has pointed 3-light north and south windows with simple tracery, pointed 7-light east window, with a narrow blind cusped niche above flanked by single quatrefoils. Nave has square-headed 2-light north windows with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds, with small quatrefoil ventilation openings below, many now blocked; coped parapet. Between nave and chancel is a tall octagonal stair turret with pierced quatrefoil, slit lights and coped parapet. Coped gables and a gabled sanctus bellcote at east end of nave with buttresses and ogee bell-opening. Squat tower of 2 stages: buttresses with offsets, pointed west door of 2 wave-moulded orders beneath hoodmould; segmental-pointed 4-light north window with trefoiled ogee lights and hoodmould, pointed 2-light window above with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. South side has stair turret with slit lights. String course. Upper stage has narrow single-light cinquefoiled belfry openings to north and south; square-headed 2-light window to west. Plain parapet with shield and IHS inscription to west. Low pyramidal roof. INTERIOR: early section with 2-bay C14 south arcade with double-chamfered arches on octagonal pier with plain moulded

capitals and arches dying into responds. Small stoup near south door with pointed arch and octagonal bowl. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with inner order on moulded corbels, one with carved head. 3-bay roof to former chancel with cranked tie-beams with pellet-mouldings and carved bosses, the east truss adapted to form a hammerbeam in order to accommodate the east window. C20 section: impressive chancel with pointed chancel arch of 2 wave-moulded orders with hoodmould and filleted quatrefoiled responds, 4-bay quadripartite vaulted roof carried on thin quatrefoiled shafts with filleted ribs and elaborate carved bosses; moulded window reveals with nook shafts. Stone reredos with crenellated top and pair of pointed chamfered vestry doors flanking the altar. Piscina with ogee trefoiled head, crocketed ogee hood with finial and carved stops, bowl with Green Man carving. Traceried wooden screens to chancel arch and to side chapel. Nave has 2-bay arcade to former chancel with pointed arches of 2 chamfered and wave-moulded orders on a quatrefoil pier with arches dying into responds; 3-bay nave arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on round columns with plain moulded bases and capitals, the arches dying into the responds. Tower arch of 2 chamfered and wave-moulded orders dying into responds; gallery with Latin inscription in Gothic lettering. Carved octagonal pulpit. Octagonal font with cusped panels. Monuments include a C13 tomb slab at base of tower. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, and Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 344; Grimsby Broough Council: Action for Conservation: 1972-: NO.79).





Listing NGR: TA2413809020

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
479279
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 344

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13387/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rodney Cousins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].