GRIMSBY HAVEN LOCK AND DOCK WALL 58 METRES LONG ADJOINING TO WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1379856
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1999
Statutory Address:
GRIMSBY HAVEN LOCK AND DOCK WALL 58 METRES LONG ADJOINING TO WEST, LOCK HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRIMSBY HAVEN LOCK AND DOCK WALL 58 METRES LONG ADJOINING TO WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379856.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 03:21:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRIMSBY HAVEN LOCK AND DOCK WALL 58 METRES LONG ADJOINING TO WEST, LOCK HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 27216 10587

Details

GRIMSBY

TA2710NW LOCK HILL, The Docks 699-1/6/124 Grimsby Haven Lock and dock wall 58 metres long adjoining to west

GV II*

Lock basin and adjoining dock quayside wall to west. 1798-9 by John Rennie, engineer, for the Grimsby Haven Company. Ashlar lock pit; dock wall with ashlar piers and brick arches. The lock pit, measuring 145 by 37 feet (44.2 by 11.3 metres), survives beneath later infilling, with both ends and wing walls still visible. At the inner, southern end, on the south-east corner of the lock passage, approximately 15 metres from the lock-gate recess, are stone steps down to the water level. Also at the southern end, adjoining on the west side, is a section of dock quayside wall, extending approximately 40 metres from the lock entrance, with an arcade of segmental-arched vaults between stepped piers. HISTORY: this lock separated the tidal haven from the Humber estuary, creating the first dock at Grimsby, the Haven Dock, which opened in 1800 and was later incorporated in the Alexandra Dock. The bill for improving Grimsby Haven was passed in 1796. Work started in 1797 and in 1798 John Rennie was called in to rescue the ailing scheme. A key element of Rennie's new design was this large lock which, as well as serving as the dock entrance, was designed to assist in scouring the harbour entrance and keep it clear of silt. To deal with the problem of building retaining walls in the soft ground here, Rennie devised a design using vaulted or "hollow" walls, which have a greater base area and are stronger than solid walls containing the same quantity of material. He subsequently used the method in other pier and harbour works (e.g. the Humber Dock at Hull, built 1803-9). The same construction principle, on a much larger scale, was used 50 years later by James Rendel for the Royal Dock at Grimsby (qv). This lock was largely superseded as a dock entrance by the creation of the Union Dock to the east which in 1879 linked the Alexandra and Royal Docks. The lock was closed in 1917 and subsequently mostly infilled, although it still carries a culverted outfall between the dock and the estuary. The lock and its flanking dock wall are notable as a survival of the earliest modern dock at Grimsby, and for representing the first use of the important technical innovation of vaulted quayside walls, by one of Britain's foremost harbour engineers. The quayside construction here forms an interesting

and important comparison with the same system built on a much larger scale at the nearby Royal Dock (qv). (Civil Engineering Heritage: Labrum EA: Eastern and Central England: London: 1994-: 52-4; Lives of the Engineers: Smiles S: Harbours, Lighthouses, Bridges - Smeaton and Rennie: London: 1891-: 312-13, 319; University of Hull Publications: Gillett E: A History of Grimsby: London: 1970-: 166-7; A guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Lincolnshire & S.Humbs: Wright NR: Lincoln: 1983-: 16-18; Ambler RW: Great Grimsby Fishing Heritage: a brief for a trail: Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: 10-11).



Listing NGR: TA2721610587

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
479291
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14894/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].