- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- VICTORIA MILLS, VICTORIA STREET NORTH
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379892.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:31:18.
- Statutory Address:
- VICTORIA MILLS, VICTORIA STREET NORTH
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 27155 10022
TA2710SW VICTORIA STREET NORTH 699-1/11/74 (West side) 23/07/86 Victoria Mills
Flourmill, warehouses and offices, now flats. 1889 and 1906, by Sir William Gelder of Hull, with late C20 alterations and conversion to flats. Red brick, with blue brick, stone and terrracota dressings: Welsh slate roofs with stone-coped gables and parapets. Flemish style. Gable facing. Building is in 3 main parts: a central 5 by 8 bay 8-storey grain store, a 3 by 2 bay 7-storey quayside loading building attached to west, and a 9 by 6 bay 7-storey double-range road-side warehouse attached to east. Later southern addition alongside Victoria Street. EXTERIOR: east elevation of 7-storey warehouse to Victoria Street has 6 windows to each floor with projecting sills and segmental brick arches with tall stepped keystones. All windows have wooden casements inserted 1990: 9-pane windows to floors 1-5, 6-pane windows to ground floor, top floor and attic. Above the third storey the windows are set in recessed panels, stepped-in to top and bottom. 2 crow-stepped gables above with large obelisk ridge finials. At apex of each gable is a large stone plaque beneath a scrolled pediment, one inscibed "ERECTED", the other "AD 1906". North and south elevations of warehouse have similar windows and recessed panels, but without keystones to the arches. North side has wide entrance to fifth and sixth bays, 2 storeys high, beneath a steel joist carried on ashlar brackets. Segmental-headed doors to ground-floor right. Plain parapets. Prominent downpipes. Series of circular cast-iron tie-bar ends at floor levels to north and south sides. East gable-end of the 8-storey grain store has recessed panels to each bay with segmental arches, hoodmoulds and corniced keystones linked by a flush ashlar band. Below the arches is full-width ashlar panel with relief inscription "VICTORIA FLOUR MILLS". Elaborate shaped gable with 2 central panels containing windows with glazing bars beneath keyed segmental arches and a flush ashlar band; 3 pilaster strips capped with obelisk finials. To each corner is a turret-like projection with pilaster strips, panelled sides, castellated parapets and yellow tiled domes surmounted by ball finials. North side of store: 10 blocked ground-floor openings with a row of tie-bar ends above; recessed panels to each bay above
fourth storey. Pair of downpipes. Coped parapet. Iron fire escape of 5 flights leading down to east warehouse from an entrance in the parapet with a segmental-arched door in a stepped and gabled surround with stone coping and ball finials. South elevation is similar, with 9 blocked ground-floor windows, recessed panels. Pair of wide 5-light flat-roofed dormers with glazing bars and slate-hung cheeks. West gable-end of store has 5 segmental-headed recessed panels, the taller central one rising into the gable, with single 12-light segmental-arched windows with iron glazing bars to the top storey and attic. The gable has crow-stepped outer sections flanked by domed angle turrets similar to those on the east gable, and a raised central section fronting a raised section of the roof with a blind round-arched panel flanked by corbelled pilaster strips, rising to a shaped gable with a central obelisk finial flanked by ball finials. 7-storey loading section to west: west elevation has blue brick plinth forming part of dock wall; narrow round-headed opening rising through 4 storeys (blocked to lower 2 storeys), housing a loading conveyor. Above this, a single 12-pane window to the fifth floor. To left, single 12-pane windows to each floor apart from sixth floor which has a single central window. Row of central tie-bar ends between bays. At first-floor level are a pair of cast-iron hoist mountings and at third-floor level a wooden hood to a rope hoist. Stone-coped gable. North side of loading bay has a waggon entrance to left beneath a steel lintel carried on ashlar blocks; a single blocked opening to the right, 9-pane wooden casements to floors 2, 3, 4 and 5, with segmental arches and stone sills; blocked similar openings to first floor. South side similar, but with 12-pane iron casements (some missing) and blind panels to first and second floor of left bay. INTERIOR: timber grain silos, reaching the full height of the central store, removed in 1993 prior to the insertion of floors. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, and Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 342; Grimsby - Action for Conservation: Grimsby Borough Planning Department: List of buildings of local architectural or historical interest: Grimsby Borough Council: 1972-: NO.88; Grimsby Borough Council: Top Town Trail: Grimsby: 1989-: NO.37; Grimsby Planning Department: Victoria Mill Conservation Area: Grimsby Borough Council: 1990-: MAP).
Listing NGR: TA2715510022
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 342
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing