- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- WELHOLME GALLERIES, WELHOLME ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1379902.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 20:39:59.
- Statutory Address:
- WELHOLME GALLERIES, WELHOLME ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 27558 08610
TA2708NE WELHOLME ROAD 699-1/28/89 (South side) Welholme Galleries
Formerly known as: Welholme Congregational Church and Mission Church and Sunday School WELHOLME ROAD. 2 churches, now museum stores and offices. 1907 by Bell, Withers and Meredith, architects; Hewins and Goodhand, builders. Incorporates 1894 Congregational Mission Church and Sunday School by HC Scaping of Grimsby; H Thompson and Sons, builders. 1907 CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH MATERIALS: red brick with ashlar dressings, plain tiled roof. STYLE: free Gothic Revival. PLAN: 2-bay chancel and a 3-bay aisled nave with single-bay transepts and a Gallilee porch at the ritual west end with a tower in the south-west angle. Single-storey vestry and church rooms at east end, linking with the 1894 building. Buttresses at angles and between bays, with ashlar gablets, the upper sections projecting above the eaves. EXTERIOR: nave with 3-light cinquefoiled aisle windows in segmental-arched recessed panels; pairs of trefoiled 2-light clerestory windows with miniature buttresses between. South transept: south side, facing Heneage Road, has sill band, stepped triple south window with traceried 2-light segmental-headed windows beneath ashlar hoodmoulds and raised panels with buttress shafts flanking the taller central window; segmental-arched door to west side. 2-storey extension to east with cusped windows to each floor, coped embattled parapet. Adjoining single-storey south-east annexe has arched door in moulded surround, pair of 3-light cusped windows. North transept has similar door and stepped north windows but without elaborate surround. Nave has larger similar west windows with ashlar heads in buttressed surround. Below this, a single-storey Gallilee of 5 bays, incorporating tower to right. Porch has central canted bay with square-headed door beneath a lead hood flanked by single-light windows; bays each side with moulded segmental-arched openings with 3-light windows above brick blocking; outer bays with single square-headed window. Tall buttresses, coped and embattled parapet. Moulded segmental-headed doorways to left and right returns.
3-stage south-west tower has full-height clasped buttresses, embattled first stage with south door and west 3-light segmental window; foundation stone to south dated 15 October 1907. Tall second stage with slit lights. Ashlar top stage with panelled buttresses and segmental-arched 3-light traceried belfry openings. Above this, a stepped-in open lantern section with central buttresses to each side flanked by twin segmental-arched openings and tall projecting diagonal buttresses at each corner. Slender leaded needle spire. Nave has octagonal brick bellcote at east end with louvres, overhanging eaves and spirelet. Chancel has pointed traceried 5-light east window, single square-headed 2-light traceried north and south windows. INTERIOR: 3-bay ashlar nave arcades with chamfered piers and 4-centred moulded arches dying into the jambs; wide 4-centred ashlar arches to transepts, chamfered brick arch to chancel, and chamfered brick arched buttresses from nave arcades to aisle walls. East annexe has chamfered brick arches to transept and chancel. Chancel has wood panelling to lower walls. South aisle has pictorial stained glass windows, including one by Atkinson Brothers of Newcastle on Tyne; other windows have plain glass with Art Nouveau-style designs. Hammerbeam nave roof; arch-braced chancel roof. North transept has re-set stone plaque inscribed "Ebenezer", and 1786 datestone, re-set from an earlier Grimsby chapel. 1894 MISSION CHURCH: adjoins at south-east end. MATERIALS: red brick in English bond with terracotta dressings; Welsh slate roof. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: Rectangular. Aisled nave of 4 and a half bays, with doors to aisles at ritual east end. EXTERIOR: chamfered brick plinth, sill string course, moulded brick eaves cornice; pairs of stepped buttresses with gabled caps at east and west ends. Aisles have single and twin lancets; east entrances with fillet-moulded arches with nook shafts, all beneath hoodmoulds with moulded stops. Nave has stepped triple east lancet in moulded and shafted surround, flush ashlar bands, blind lancet panel to coped gable with shaped kneelers and finial. Below the east window a foundation stone dated 1 September 1894. West end of nave has quadruple stepped lancet with similar moulded surround. 3-light mullioned dormer windows with cusped lintels, hipped roofs with finials. Crested ridge tiles. INTERIOR: arch-braced roof. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J, & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 339; Grimsby - Action for Conservation: Grimsby Borough Planning Department: List of
buildings of local architectural or historical interest: Grimsby Borough Council: 1972-: NO.49).
Listing NGR: TA2755808610
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 339
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing